No announcement yet.

In My Opinion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone has been making some real good points, both pro and con. Only time will tell the rest of the story...... Mike is correct. One of the positive points that can not be argued is that the internet has enabled us to meet and learn from some great carvers. I look back and I think of the digital relationships that I've had since being a member of the WCI Forum; Rick, Thomp, Forest..... the list of those that have contributed and left us is long.

Comment

For some of us the contact with experienced woodcarvers showed us the possibilities - what are the limits to what can be created with a sharp tool and wood? Occasionally the reaction is "Oh I could never do that!" The problem I find with videos is the mistaken impression that carving is quick and smooth. The use of time lapse or editing for short attention spans misleads many newbie carvers.
      Last edited by pallin; 07-25-2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
        For some of us the contact with experienced woodcarvers showed us the possibilities - what are the limits to what can be created with a sharp tool and wood? Occasionally the reaction is "Oh I could never do that!" The problem I find with videos is the mistaken impression that carving is quick and smooth. The use of time lapse or editing for short attention spans misleads many newbie carvers.
        Pallin, I agree. As you say " Oh I could never do that" I know a young guy 13, he has been carving Cartitures(sp) and small items for 3 years now. And is very good, I was showing him some of the photos on my phone the last Sat. And exactly the same came out of his mouth. I hugged him and said" You can do anything with wood you wish to." His Dad is very supportive of him, and asked me if I could help him out of his?? I told his Dad that there are 45 miles between us. And the guy that is showig him the way ONLY doe's one thing ,, over and over. But dang,he is good!
        Chuck
        Chuck
        Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
          Eddy, your observation is well taken. Just yesterday at my eldest son's birthday gathering we were talking about how everyone takes so many pictures on their phones. I mentioned it was a mixed blessing...good for being able to share so much with others, bad in that there will be no hard copies to hand to future generations.
          However, I print a lot of my pics out ,,sic "the ones worth looking at." I guess it is great in the tecno dept, I have a printer that I just email to it and it prints it..
          Amazing tech stuff. Now if we only had spell check in here,.
          Chuck
          Chuck

Comment

Books got me started in carving, but the internet connected me with people. There wasn't much carving on the internet when i started in the early 80s, so there were a few magazines and books at the library that I could refer to. But when I started back up around 2008, I was able to contact the people who wrote the books and were teaching the classes and realizing that i could study with these great carvers was very exciting and energizing. I got the explanations and the background stories that are edited out of the books and I laughed at the jokes that would never have been published when I attended seminars and rendezvous and shows. My regret is those that have passed away and i never got to carve with them, but I am still able to talk with those who did carve with them. The internet is another tool, like books, and those can be kept and referred back to, but there is a tremendous value in hanging out with other carvers, the famous, the infamous, and the guys you see regularly. I am always hopeful that all that talent might rub off on me!
            'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
            http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

pallin "Oh I could never do that!" Like nails on a chalk board! What is certainly a fact is if you don’t try more challenging projects you won’t grow as a carver. My good fortune (I think) was not learning to carve from books or magazines, so never exposed to step buy step carving. Having learned through a carving club surrounded buy carvers with years of experience made trying new things really easy. Tom Candy was the top carver in our club, when carving my first trout he showed me how to scale a diagram of a trout to a transparency sheet to use as a reference. Over time this morphed into carving from reference photos and the process I use today. In my mind a self determined process is not the same as predetermined external instructions.

”The wood speaks to me” also makes me crazy! In the last six almost seven years having watched many carvers struggle with projects when they try to stretch their skills. I think the lack of a process is the great killer of carvers dreams. Watching the hapless wood whisperer’s working without photo or sketch and not a measurement device insight expecting the wood to reveal the perfect results.

Sorry for the rant,
              Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
                pallin "Oh I could never do that!" Like nails on a chalk board! What is certainly a fact is if you don’t try more challenging projects you won’t grow as a carver. My good fortune (I think) was not learning to carve from books or magazines, so never exposed to step buy step carving. Having learned through a carving club surrounded buy carvers with years of experience made trying new things really easy. Tom Candy was the top carver in our club, when carving my first trout he showed me how to scale a diagram of a trout to a transparency sheet to use as a reference. Over time this morphed into carving from reference photos and the process I use today. In my mind a self determined process is not the same as predetermined external instructions.

”The wood speaks to me” also makes me crazy! In the last six almost seven years having watched many carvers struggle with projects when they try to stretch their skills. I think the lack of a process is the great killer of carvers dreams. Watching the hapless wood whisperer’s working without photo or sketch and not a measurement device insight expecting the wood to reveal the perfect results.

Sorry for the rant,
                Ed
                Hey Ed.We all need that "rant". And, I understand your comments.

When I first started, I was so inthraled about what some guys were doing with their carvings. Drove me nuts', we were hosting a state camp ground in So Texas 15 years ago. Birding country and the felllows that were showing off thier birds.. That Did it, All I had was a pocket kife and was trying to?carve/cut out a something.

Then my wife for my BD gave me a small learning kit 4 sharp things and 2 pieces of wood, I did not even know what kind .. Then I saw a small photo of a Barn Owl about 2" high. And I thought,, there is an Owl in there. 1 month later and just those tools that not knowing how to, use, sharpen or keep my DNA inside.. A 4 inch Owl shows up.
                Since then I have too many projects, But more fun.

You said, "The wood speaks to me". Wood, Soapstone and Albaster, Heck I see things.. I have roots and broken limbs in my shop, plus anything else that "looks" like I need it..
                Have a great weekend and stay cool.

Cheers Chuck
                Chuck

Comment

Internet is great as long as you have wifi, access, but if the grid goes down....and all is lost. The electric grid is very shakey in some parts of the country. War, major storms, EMT, and things as such can shut it down. Hackers are getting smarter and better, and can easily destroy and erase it as we have seen.... the fact is that cyber attacks are a daily thing anymore is happening world wide. Depending on such information then would be lost. The way I see if you have a book then information can be hidden for the next generations unless the government decides to destroy books as they did in China. Information as I see is a very fragile thing when it can be totally fried by a virus or worst. The way I see it with the right attack in the future they could shut down the whole internet and keep it down, not sustainable like most things we have in today's world. Talk about shutting down the country's whole economy...nothing would work. Has not happened yet...but we have no idea what tomorrow will bring. Be different if the man did not engage in war and lived a peaceful life. I have no crystal ball for the future but clearly, I can see this one happening easily.
                  . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

It didn't take an attack, Dileon. It just took a total up-screw by the country's biggest digital supplier to just about shut Canada down for several days! Financial services closed. Emergency services disabled (that was scary).
                    The Canadian government finally woke up. They have grabbed this company by the short hairs and held their feet to the fire. Most of the time, I object to government 'micromanaging' civil affairs. Not this time. I want them in there, waist deep, making certain that this does not happen again.
                    Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                      It didn't take an attack, Dileon. It just took a total up-screw by the country's biggest digital supplier to just about shut Canada down for several days! Financial services closed. Emergency services disabled (that was scary).
                      The Canadian government finally woke up. They have grabbed this company by the short hairs and held their feet to the fire. Most of the time, I object to government 'micromanaging' civil affairs. Not this time. I want them in there, waist deep, making certain that this does not happen again.
                      Watching the whole world now, this is a new age and new war. Tons of weird off-the-wall things happening and too much of it. Financial services are shutting off in different parts of the world. Some people blame the war and BRICS nations for the decision to go to a new world currency that is causing the chaos. Some people say the banks shut down because soon they will close down because they are losing major amounts of money because of bad investments they made. Some say the temporary shift in locking down is because we are entering an economical collapse and the great depression two is coming and we are just seeing the tip of an iceberg. Hard to say, is it a simple cyber hack or something bigger? I have very bad feelings about all of it...it is just not in one place. In the news and what is happening today...at least here, it is hard to tell what are lies and what is really going on. I question a thousand times everything because what the government says and what is news is completely the opposite of the real deal. Lots to ponder but this being dependent on the internet is insane when comes to what they can do, not only that but shut down a whole country. Most governments can not micro-manage themselves these days, I have my doubts when it comes to big picture thinking.

Comment

Life is like an iceberg. 2/3's of it are out of site and never seen!

image.png

Comment

It's worse than that. Water expands about 9% (1/11) when it freezes. Sets up like a house of cards.
                          I always find it so hard to imagine that so much of it is below the ocean surface. Then I look sideways at an ice cube floating in my drink. Yeah, I'd better believe it. I can spell Titanic.

The early summer alpine melt is very much well under way, could be 104F late Sunday afternoon.
                          The tap water is as sweet as it ever gets right now. My west wall grape vines are doing their shade job, fun to watch the speed with which the grapes are filling out.

I've got a bunch of carving projects and tools upstairs now. Nice to do again. I can't cope well with climbing the stairs, no hand rails yet right at the top.
                          Brian T

Comment

I hear what you are saying Eddy. Backup everything !!!!! Dad has been working wood for 70 years. None of the knowledge he has is down in any format format whatsoever. Very old school is Dad. When he goes a wealth of information goes with him so I hear what you say.

Had hoped to find a couple of young guys to teach wood working to but no interest at all. No keyboard and no mouse = no interest. Is a shame. Forums like this are the the best store of knowledge as it can be accessed by all who want to. But what happens when the light go out??????

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
                              I hear what you are saying Eddy. Backup everything !!!!! Dad has been working wood for 70 years. None of the knowledge he has is down in any format format whatsoever. Very old school is Dad. When he goes a wealth of information goes with him so I hear what you say.

Had hoped to find a couple of young guys to teach wood working to but no interest at all. No keyboard and no mouse = no interest. Is a shame. Forums like this are the the best store of knowledge as it can be accessed by all who want to. But what happens when the light go out??????
                              My dad said that also..... but he added: to get back ups for the back up.

Comment

I believe that it now takes a great deal of money and advertising to promote wood working of any kind. Wood shows are great. Participation is even better. Conversations with the wood workers and wood carvers are the best yet. We have all heard of them and probably been to a few.

Up here in the PacNW, "Carving On The Edge" is a symposium of FN peoples that will fertilize your mind for years to come. I went by Zoom last year and I won't miss it (Sept 8-13) this year. You need to know that it emphasizes arts and carvings of a specific area of the BC Pacific coast . Up and down the mainland? Up into the millions if a dime.

Carving On The Edge Festival – Celebrating traditional and contemporary carving arts with something for everyone from lovers of arts & culture to carvers of all skill levels

The art and carvings of the First Nations in the Pacific Northwest are instantly recognizable around the world. Nothing like it, so much is Canadian and Alaskan. There's a HUGE resurgence in carving wood, gold and silver right now. Invigorating to watch. For me and my FN carver friends, it's a stimulating place to be right now.

I want 2 bar stools with top quality swivel platforms for my kitchen.
                                The wood work need not be gallery grade. Maybe one guy to take this on.
                                Where would anyone go to learn how to assemble a simple stool with a swivel?
                                Brian T

Comment

Working...
                              X