Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Anyone Is Interested ?

Ok .. Here goes ..

I was recently approached about doing a carving video and putting it on YOU-Tube ..

Since I have never done much of this before .. I was hesistant .. but interested ..

I thought YOU - Tube was only a bunch of kids doing goofy things on there ..

But after observing the different things on the site .. I found out there are some informal demo's and learning videos ..

So I gave it a try ... Since each video cannot be over ten minutes long .. to carve a figure took six parts to finished with .. and it is now available if anyone would like to see it ..

You simply go to ( youtube.com) and when you get into the site .. you will see a search space ..
    In that search space put ( Woodcarving A Figure Out Of Wood ) and it will take you to the videos ..

It concerns carving a complete figure in the flat plane style .. I know most experience carvers know how to do this .. so this is more a beginners video ..

Iam sorry I had to do it quickly .. but time was a essence in not having to put so many parts together .. Also I did it with a digital camera .. so I hope the picture is clear enough ..

Also .. one other thing .. If you want to scold me now .. then do so ..
    I did not think about it at the time .. but I was not wearing a carving glove while doing these videos .. and you will see that I dont have one on .. so if you want to scold me .. then do so and I will remember to do it in the future ..

Let me know what you think and God Bless and hope it can help you in some way ..

Gene

Re: If Anyone Is Interested ?

Gene.. I'm sure that your video is great just like all of your work. My only problem is that with dial-up I've yet to be able to view any videos on U-tube. Same problem as trying to view the 3-D extras here on the WCI site. But I'm sure that us few antiquated dial-up subscribers are far outweighed by the dsl's and cable subscribers.

Comment

gene,

went and checked it out did not have time to watch them all but looks like they will be good, will watch them all when i have time, thanks for sharing.

bart

Comment

Well Gene, Just sat through 6 videos of you carving the tied guy. Enjoyed watching and listening to you. Thank you. I booked marked the youtube to watch again. Nicely done and hope to see more from you. Jolly good shows.

Comment

Hi Gene, started watching your youtube video, had to stop and go fix dinner. Almost got threw the first one....will go back later. Very cool
          Kathy

Comment

Excellent work Gene! Very nicely done! I think everyone will agree once they get a chance to view the videos that they are very well created and an excellent source of instruction. I encourage everyone who has an interest in carving to take a look at these videos.

Thanks again Gene for all your hard work on these! I look forward to seeing more in the future!

Blake

Comment

Gene, thank you very much for doing the Youtube videos and for starting what will be a trend for doing tutorials for some wood carvers. you have a good way of communicating what you are doing in a down home sort of way that makes for easy understanding of what your are doing. Your finished pieces and the painted ones are top knotch, so do some more for us.

Comment

Bart , Kathy , Kenny , Eddy, Donald .. Thanks so much for the encouragement .. I really didnt know how these would turn out and how it would help beginners more then more experience carvers ..

I hope this will lead to more carvers sharing their talents and getting young carvers and those just thinking about carving confidence in starting it ..

To me , a picture is worth a thousand words .. And if these help one carver .. they are worth it .. Thats why Iam trying to make these as simple as possible .. so that anyone can understand them ..

Anyway .. thank you for your input ..

Gene

Comment

Just got through viewing your videos Gene. You make it look so easy. Don't think I could talk and carve while a video is playing and not have a box of bandaids nearby. I was expecting your head to come into the video at anytime. I'm all for experimenting with different carving styles so I hope to take up caricature carving once I feel I got my present style down. You put a lot of time and work into that video. Great resource for the computer library to visit again later when I get the ambition to try another carving style.
                  Patrick

Comment

Outstanding series of videos, Gene! It's always great to watch the masters at work!

Comment

Gene... Just got through talking it over with the Chief of Finances and I made be swithcing over to the Net Zero form of DSL next month. I'm hoping that I'll be able take advantage of all these videos and tutorials when I do!

Comment

Gene,
                        Your video's are great. Watched all six. Learned a ton. Look forward to more. You are very good explaining things as you go along.
                        Thanks
                        Keithmc

Comment

Dang Dang Dang, double Dang. Oh for a cable hook up, Gene what I did see was makin me crazy. If only I could see it on a phone line. That little fella sure looked good what I coulld see of it, unfortunately it's 3:20 AM and I'm gonna have to go back to my lazy boy and try for some more sleep. It looked to me the thing I'm really lookin for, pics absolutely clear, looks like an excellent tutorial, unfortunately for me, I guess I'll never get to enjoy it. Thanks for putting it together, I'm sure there will be a lot of people that will benefit BIG TIME from watching it.
                          Cliff

Comment

IMO the videos are great, but if I can add a couple notes. I didn't watch all by the way.
                            First, your not using a glove or any type of protection. A newbie carver watching this would assume its ok not too use a glove. Seems silly I know as your obviously an expert, but for a guy who got 27 stitches in one finger from a carving knife, lost most of the feeling in that finger and gave up carving for 10 years because of that injury, I think you should show people to wear a glove or something.
                            Next, the narrative is great but a bit long at times and takes away from the work. Basically its distracting when one really looks at what your doing.
                            Lastly, your very good and you go very fast, most newbies are still trying to balance the knife and you have the work almost done.! Slow down and maybe even skip some to show the details better.
                            What i really liked was in a lot of cases as you employ the knife you are using various grips that support the work and the action of the knife, that push the knife safely thru the wood and the knife action is supported by several fingers of both hand. (hard to explain) I would like to personally see more video on these various grips and hand positions you employ. YOu might do them even self consciously and probably explains why you don't get cut.
                            It is nice to see an artist who really enjoys his work and is good at it.
                            This is a great, generous idea, but I dont want people thinking they can pick up a knife and do the same without some risk of injury, and the video can be a bit hard to follow. thanks.

Comment

Great job Gene! Puts a different spin on tutorials.

Comment

Working...
                              X