If Anyone Is Interested ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If Anyone Is Interested ?

Once again .. Thank you all so much for your kind comments ..They are so much appreciated ..

Rick .. Thanks so much for the suggestions .. Iam just starting to learn this video tutoring .. so bear with me ..

Your right .. I didnt use a carving glove and I explained that in my post to begin with .. that I want do that again for I know Iam targeting beginners the most ..

Also .. I also know I went a little to fast .. but the reason I did that is because to do a complete figure .. if I would have shown every cut .. and knife position .. I would have had to do it in 12 parts rather then 6 and I thought that would have been too long ...

you see.. the problem is .. the videos can be only 8to 10 minutes long or they want download them .. so you can see the problem when you are working on something that will take more time to finish .. And of course the more parts you have to do .. the less people will watch all of them ..

I wish it was like just like a video I could take all the time I wanted .. but it's not .. so time is essential with this to get it all in .. maybe I could just take certain parts of the carving and demonstrate then separately ..

Iam open for suggestions from anyone and what people want to see .. for my first time ... I wanted to show what was involved in carving a figure all the way through ..

Thanks so much for the input ..

Gene

Comment

Hi Gene,

Thanks for doing those videos - it is very instructional for me, having carved some of your previous tutorials. One thing I picked up on was the way that you take two or three thin slivers at a time, rather than the thicker ones I have been taking off. Also the angle of the cut you use to remove the slivers is different to what I have been doing.

One thing - would it be possible to film from an overhead or carvers' eyepoint position? That way everything wil be the right way up, and it might be easier to keep the carving in full view.

I like the commentary - it takes alot of effort to keep talking for that length of time, nevermind carving at the same time.

Maybe a separate video on carving safety might be an idea, that you can then recommend and reference at the beginning of every video without losing time repeating safety information.

Pete

Comment

HI Gene
        I enjoyed your video.Very much.It took me all day to get to watch them with dial up but it was worth it.I picked up at least 5 or 6 things i can use to improve.Getting to see you carve the little guy was way better than just photos.After watching you i can see where i was making some mistakes in my carvings.YOU DID A GEAT JOB GENE.I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME AND EFFORT TO MAKE IT FOR US.
        windsong

Comment

gene,

dont stop you got a knack for this, its nice to see how others carve for us shut ins,

but due to my dialup constriction i got 5 more bed time stories,

i was able to finely get the part one watched as it took 4 hours to come down in drips and draps,

is there any other way to get the videos than you tube. like on a home made cd rom?

Thomas

Comment

Gene, my friend, you are one talented SOG!
            I've been watching your videos and shaking my head, muttering that i wish i could carve like that and was knocked in the head by the wife. I know i can carve but we just get fascinated by others carvings i guess.
            Please don't stop making these. I love your style of flat plane carving and being able to watch a master at work in insperational even to those of us that have carved for years.

The only thing i can add is to repeat Pete in that you ought to move the camera into an over head posistion so we can have a carvers view. The carving was out of the frame at times and we were unable to see your cuts as a result.

The speed of which you cut was no problem, i simply downloaded the video and slowed it down to see the cuts better.

Keep up the good work and i will let you know that i plan on using this in my little carving group to help explain flat plane carving.

Michael Gray

Comment

Gene, Just finished watching your YourTube videos for the 3rd time. As a true beginner, I would like to say Thank You! for sharing your talent with us. You can look at all the books and magazine and the still photos on this forum but being able to see the carving being actually done makes all of the difference. If I could make one suggestion: Lower the camera next time so that we can see more of the carving. Sometimes a portion of the figure would be out of view, more of the figure and less of your chest.

Again, a BIG THANK YOU for your sharing with us, at no cost I might add, you God given talent. I hope this might encourage more of the wonderful carvers on this forum to do the same. Photos are great, but being able to see the actual cuts being made is terriffic.

Chuck

Comment

Mike , Chuck .. Thanks so much for the suggestions .. It was my first time doing this and I did it with a digital camera without a tripod .. So next time I will use a tripod and go a little slower to show you more .. The suggestion of the camera over the shoulder is a great idea .. Thanks for that ..

Appreciate everyones input and doing videos are harder then it looks .. but I will learn with time .

Thanks so much ..

Gene

Comment

Gene, if a picture is worth a 1000 words then good video is worth 10,000 words! These are excellent and great for a beginner like me... heck I don't even have tools yet but you have inspired me. I know I won't be able to carve like that just because I watched a video or two but just seeing the process and seeing what it should look like is awesome. Thank you for doing these. I have watched them several times and I hope you do some more of these.
                  Thanks,
                  Corey

Comment

I have had several messages on the pattern I used on the u-tube video i did and here it is ..

You can copy it , reduce it or whatever for your project ..

Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions ..

Gene

Comment

gene you did a better job than i could have,

i finely got to see them all,
                      great job

takes me 4 hours to download one segment and had forgot where the previous segment ended, but its a great start on getting this kind of information out, just wish there was a way to make obtaining the files so you could backup to different segments you may have misunderstood...

Comment

Wonderful Job! Thanks for Making the Videos.
                        I know how much time it takes to do something like this as I have made one for my woodturning Natural Edge Winged Bowls.
                        Can't wait to see the next one!
                        Keep em comming!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Jim

Comment

Gene,

VERY NICE, well done Gene, really enjoyed the videos, watched all six, enjoyed the audio portion along with the carving instruction, nice touch. Bill

Comment

HI Gene, I have dial up so it's taking a long time to download. I hope I can see all of it. Thanks.

Comment

Gene, I'd say you did an excellent job on the videos. Your comments on what you were doing as you went along carving was well done.

Keep up the good work. This must have taken more time than just making the videos. Positioning the camera, setting up the lighting, etc. Set up was good, and the videos were very clear for viewing.

Thanks for you production.
                              "simple man in a complicated world"

Comment

And don't forget to check out the new posting for beginners.. a cowboy boot in 4 parts. Great stuff!

Corey

Comment

Working...
                                X