Re: African Mask Low Relief Carving

Comment

Irish_54.jpg
      Irish-54_close.jpg
      Irish_55.jpg
      Irish-56.jpg
      Irish_57.jpg

I believe we left off working the eye brows. I am using my bench knive (chip knive) to make a cut along the pattern line of the center eye brow, tilting the knive tip towards the nose area and working the cut area between the eye brows. This is a long cut that starts deepest at the v point of the brow and becomes shallow at the end of the eye brow line.

I have turned my board over so that I am comfortable in making the next cut. This cut with the bench knive is the same as just done. You can see that where the two cuts come together a 'v' shaped wedge has been freed.
      I am working one side of this area at a time and not trying to 'go around the corner'.

By photo 57 I have all the inside areas in the eyebrows dropped into a deep v trough.

Susan

Comment

Comment

Irish_58.jpg
          Irish_59.jpg
          Irish_60.jpg
          Irish_61.jpg

I know that I start this using different tools but to be totally honest my favorite set is somewhere in some box in some pile in some corner ... that I haven't gotten to unpack yet ... sigh! So I did find my set of Flex Cuts which are interchangeable tools so I'll use those.

I do like these tools, they hold an excellent edge and the price as a beginner's set is reasonable since they are interchangeables.

The bridge of the nose is very deep into the face. Even though this is a low relief and a stylized design I want to drop this area down into the wood. I am using a tight round gouge and working from the center of the nose bridge towards the forehead. This keeps my working with the grain of the wood so that the tool's cutting edge does not 'dig in' or the wood split out.

After I have the nose bridge area dropped I can work the area between the eye brows with the same round gouge blending this area into the nose bridge. I have flipped the board so that I am staying with the grain ... the wood between the eye brows, at this moment, is slightly higher than the wood at the nose bridge. So I want to work from high to low.

I have laid a ruler over the face just above the nose bridge. I can see the nose bridge has been dropped fairly well. So I think I will leave it there. I can return to it at any time and deepen more as the rest of the face is developed.

I find it better for me and my style of carving to work an area just a little proud (high), saving myself a touch of wood for later when I start to refine the area.

Susan

Comment

Comment

Irish_62.jpg
              Irish_63.jpg
              Irish_64.jpg
              Irish_65.jpg
              Irish_66.jpg

I want to drop the sides of his forehead. Right now they are as high as his eye lids and they should be down to the level of the nose bridge. I started with my tight 'u' round gouge and worked the wood from the forehead area down towards the cheeks.

Once I have the extra wood removed I switched to the straight chisel to smooth out the area.

By gently grazing the wood you can cut very thim small slices of wood with the straight chisel.

Once the side of his forehead were dropped I could see that the sides of the eye brows also need to be dropped. So I am using the straight chisel and slowly tapering the eye brow for about 1 1/2".

So this is where we are at ... photo Irish_66.jpg.

I have another group of photos to work through so I will be back in a bit.

Susan

Comment

Comment

Well...don't leave us hanging....What was making the horrible noise???? Did Cthulhu come to visit over Halloween and leave a present???

Comment

Comment

Ahhh...so it was Nyarlathotep in one of his "cute" masks spreading chaos across your working area <GRIN>

(sorry...I'm done making obscure H.P. Lovecraft references)

Comment

Comment

Irish_67.jpg
                          Irish_68.jpg
                          Irish_69.jpg
                          Irish_70.jpg
                          Irish_71.jpg

Let's round over the sides of the nose next. I want to separate the nostrils from the center of the nose so I have cut a v gouge line along the pattern lines. I can now run my straight chisel up the nose - going with the grain.

For my carving the grain changes on the nose at the corner of the eye. To round over the sides of the nose above the eye corner I need to carve from the eye brows down towards the mouth. Bringing the two carving areas together at the corner of the eye will lift the cut chips.

Both sides of the nose are being worked at this stage. Rounding the nose has opened the space between the eyes and the nose side so I grabbed my smallest u gouge to clean the trough area between these two elements of the face.

Susan

Comment

Irish_72.jpg
                            Irish_73.jpg
                            Irish_74.jpg
                            Irish_75.jpg

With the nose sides done I can move towards the center line of the nose. I am still using my straight chisel.

The upper side of the nostrils now gets rounded on both sides of the nose and the nostril is rounded into the v gouge that separates the nostril from the nose side.

Susan

Comment

Irish_76.jpg

This looks like a good time to step back and see where we are. The areas we still need to work in this rough out stage are the nose bridge, eyes and ear rings.

Susan

Comment

Irish_77.jpg
                                Irish_78.jpg
                                Irish_79.jpg

The bridge of the nose sets low in the face so I want to drop the nose at the bridge down to the level I worked a few steps ago for the area in the forehead between the first eye brow lines. But! I don't want that nose bridge to move into the forehead area.

So I begin the carving cuts just below the ridge left in this area from the work done on the forehead. I can use my straight chisel to drop this area but I chose instead to use a small round gouge. I can work the gouge across the grain lines, gently shaving away the excess.

Irish_79.jpg shows both the drop in the nose bridge and that I was able to retain the ridge at the bottom of the forehead area.

Susan

Comment

Working...
                                X