Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: African Mask Low Relief Carving

Irish_158.jpg

Here is where we are at for today's carving.

While we are here I wanted to return to the steps that we just completed in an overall general process. I am sure that you have noted how I seem to 'jump' from one area of the carving back to another. I will work the eye brows for a bit then move to the decorative triangle. From there I move to the eye lids, then back to center of the forehead.

I prefer to work a large area at a time, not individual elements in that area. I have found that even small changes in one area of the carving effect all the rest of that larger area.

As an example - tapering and rounding over the eye brows made me realize that the straight wall under the lower eye brow did not work well with the downward curve of the eye pad area and needed to be rounded into the brow.

Once the eye brows had been reworked and now even in size, shape and depth I could see that the decorative triangle was out of alignment ... so I moved back to that area to adjust it.

If, instead, I completely carved the headdress then completely carved the eye brows then completely carved the eye lids I would not be able to make those small changes that unite each area or element into a finished face.

At this point in the carving I am treating everything above the lower eye lids and the crease line on the outside of the eye not as individual elements but as one very large element.

This style of carving, for me, let's me adapt, change and adjust any area in the work at any time ... and therefore I have more control over how everything comes together in the end of the carving steps.

Susan

Comment

Comment

Hey Susan ,,, Looks like saddle likes having his picture taken and seems happy with the extended family. Could be a carving in there somewhere ,,,

Comment

Howard ... could you post a link to your mask threads here. I think that others who come into this thread would love to see your ideas too! I asked Keoma to do the same with her mask carving.

Susan

Comment

hey Susan, Thank you for the invitation, that is a very kind compliment! I will do what i can here, I will ask Bob D how to link these post, as i don't know how. ,,, H

Comment

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...me-sort-27779/

Hey howard...I think I just figured it out
              There is a button on top of your threadthat says "link Back"...click it and it gives you a URL to that link to paste wherever your little heart desires

Thank you Susan for the invite. It is definately not as carved as what you and Howard are doing, but I think it is a really good beginner project. I do appreciate the nod very much! I hope everyone enjoys looking at the pictures!

Comment

Ok,,,, I still don't get it!!!! this is what I THINK all this means Wood Carving - Sculptures - Wood - Stone - Canadian Artist - Woodworking - British Columbia, Canada from that you can view any of my masks .... but to link back to a thread sorry I have NO IDEA Willing just don't know how!!!

Comment

IS THIS IT???? Hope ya all are have'n a chuckle with my attemp to get this...LOL

Comment

The easiest way is to just cut and paste the link to your thread into this thread.

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...ression-26682/

Bob

Comment

New masks and bowls for Christmas ( 1 2 3) THERE YA GO !!!!! thanks Bob... Sometimes the easy way is the last I try

Comment

Mask carving progression ( 123 ... Last Page)

This is so easy it is embarrasing ,,, NOW!!! LOL
                        Ok Susan I hope these help... Masks are a passion with me and I hope that others get the bug... This mask is dry now and I can carve the details in. I have some other stuff on the bench to finish now. So i will get to it soon!

Comment

Anyone finish the african mask? I'ld sure like to see a picture. Thanks much.

Comment

Help, I hope I am not missing something - I am looking for the finish of the low relief african mask. The thread just seemed to stop. I realize some other things were going on. I would love to finish the carving. Please advise.

Comment

Yes this is a great thread on mask carving.Susan just does an outstanding job with her tutorials. They are so detailed. Thanks Susan! It is great to see Keoma's and Howard's work also. They are all different but very well done . Thanks for sharing guys !

Comment

Great tutorial, I think it is really all what one needs if he or she is looking forward to carving an African mask. Very well explained in excruciating details.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                X