No announcement yet.

Idea for holders to use while painting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for holders to use while painting?

My Mom wants to paint some Easter eggs and I would like to make some kind of device to screw them onto so they are easier for her to paint. I'm picturing something as simple as a puck of wood with a small screw sticking through it. Other thoughts?

Of course, that probably wouldn't be very heavy to allow her to sit it down and paint...hmmm...hockey puck?

Comment

Michelle, her is a pic of a wig holder that I use. Just drill a hole in the top, and glue in on of those thin drywall screws........Tom image.jpeg
      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Is that something that can be held in your hand, Tom? Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Michelle, there is a clamp to clamp it to a table, and then a collar to uncrew so you can lift the shaft off, and hold in your hand while painting., then just screw tha collar back down while drying. Nice you you don't have to touch the wet paint while painting yor carving...............Tom
          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Does she want to paint pysanky?

Comment

Thanks again, Tom...that sounds pretty good!

RV, I'm not really sure what her plans are. She just mentioned painting some eggs (she's always been a "painter" so I know she doesn't mean paint them a solid color and call it done, haha) and I wanted to find something to make them easier to hold while getting the bottom parts finished. If I had to GUESS I would think she would paint spring flowers and such more than designs. I love those pysanky eggs, though. They are very cool!

Comment

Tom, one last question...how did you secure the screw in the top? That's the part I'm not quite grasping. You said drill a hole in the top and glue on/in a drywall screw...but what about the head of the screw?

Comment

Hi Michelle, Take a 2" x 2" x 6" piece of Wood , drill a Hole in center of 1 end then Grind off the head of a Screw and Glue it into the Hole. You will need to drill a Hole into the Piece to be Painted then Screw the Piece onto Screw in Handle . The 2" Square Handle should be big enough to stand by itself for Drying and 6" Handle is big enough to hold while Painting. Got one and it works fine. Hope this helps you. Merle

Comment

image.jpeg Like Merle said Michelle, you have to cut off, or grind off the head of the screw, I use eposy to glue it in. Search ebay for econo manniquen holder............Tom
                    Last edited by Tom Ellis; 03-24-2017, 11:46 AM.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

For painting fishing lures I would use an Xacto knife handle with no blade, Using a 7/64" drill bit I drilled the center of the split collet so a drywall screw the head cut off will fit the hole, when the collet nut is tightened it won't move. Take your drywall screw and cut the head off, drill a pilot hole in the eggs to make it easier to screw the drywall screw in the eggs.

I had a handful of the drywall screws with heads cut off, a drying board that had holes drilled in it so that when I finished a lure, I would remove that drywall screw with lure on it, and place the end of the drywall screw in a hole on my drying board. Hints, the small round handle makes your hand tired, a block of wood from a 2x4 with a hole in the middle makes a nice holder for the Xacto knife handle. Wrap any excess threads on the drywall screws with painters tape, makes it easier on the fingers.

Comment

Great info, thanks everyone!!

Comment

I posted some holders awhile back in this thread. Because of the eye in the bolt, they make it easy to hang your carving after painting.
                          https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...dipping-holder
                          Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X