My standard finish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My standard finish

Have been busy making shot glasses for a while and wanted to share with you the super simple and completely non-toxic way to seal your pieces. Are use this on all my kitchen implements and my hair combs. Works great, super cheap, easy to do and lasts a long time

Thanks for the post stranger , but what is it?
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Keoma
      I can't see the second ingredient of your standard finish, looks like a bottle of whisky LOL
      Bruce
      Last edited by scotia carver; 07-22-2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Suppose I loaded one of your shot glasses with a liquer, many of which are 40% alcohol. Is that enough to leach the oil out of the wood?
        I like the added bees wax. Nice shape to the shot glass, birch perhaps?
        Brian T

Comment

Hey y'all! It is a shot glass made from Maple. The alcohol does not go through because of the added beeswax. You could really add several coats if you buff really well in between each one. When loading the pictures I put captions underneath them but just in case they don't show up the recipe is 1 tablespoon beeswax to 2 tablespoons oil. You can also pour any left over into a jar and reuse it time and time again. During the holidays when I have the assembly lines going, I quadruple the recipe so it's always on hand. It solidifies and does not go bad. If you want to get really crazy you can add yummy essential oils to it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
            Hi Keoma
            I can't see the second ingredient of your standard finish, looks like a bottle of whisky LOL
            Bruce
            The fine print on the bottle says "Distilled at the Glenlivet Distillery".

Nice looking shot glass, Keoma!

Claude
            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Thanks. I found a similar recipe when I did a Noah's Ark toy and needed a child safe finish. Love the shot glass idea. Wish my hair was long enough for a hair comb, love the idea of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Keoma View Post
                Hey y'all! It is a shot glass made from Maple. The alcohol does not go through because of the added beeswax. You could really add several coats if you buff really well in between each one. When loading the pictures I put captions underneath them but just in case they don't show up the recipe is 1 tablespoon beeswax to 2 tablespoons oil. You can also pour any left over into a jar and reuse it time and time again. During the holidays when I have the assembly lines going, I quadruple the recipe so it's always on hand. It solidifies and does not go bad. If you want to get really crazy you can add yummy essential oils to it :-)
                Mind sharing what type of oil you prefer?

Comment

Interesting formula. I do both hot bee'swax and hot olive oil finishes at 325F but never thought of mixing the two.
                  Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest101 View Post

Mind sharing what type of oil you prefer?
                    Hey there- I use olive because it’s what I have on hand. Some folks worry that it will “turn” or go rancid but it doesn’t.

Comment

I apply it with a rag or stiff brush and if you get anyvthicket Pits that harden, it’s very easy to hit it with a blow dryer and warm the wax back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Keoma View Post

Hey there- I use olive because it’s what I have on hand. Some folks worry that it will “turn” or go rancid but it doesn’t.
                        Cool! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Yes very cool! Has anyone used coconut oil for finish. I generally use s mineral oil that’s used on cutting boards. I use a product call polyaspartic on floors or water tanks, it’s 100% solids and once cured which is quite fast it’s safe, but it very thick unless it’s thined with something nasty like acetone and then it kind of defeats the non toxic theam which I’m going for on my bowls and spoons, plus it’s very shinny which might work on the shot glasses. I love the shot glass idea, nice job!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X