Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refresh paint

Hello,

We have a 5 foot tall wood carving in our backyard. It is an old fisherman complete with yellow rain hat and coat, and black boots. He has been outdoors for over 10 years and is now in desperate need of fresh coat of paint. Where do we begin? What kind of paint do we use? Any special techniques we need to know about before beginning? We don’t know where he was made so we can’t just call the artist. Can you all help us?

Thank you!

how about posting a picture?
    Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Does it have to be repainted? Here in the Pacific Northwest, repairs are few.
      The paint (if any) peels, the woods crack open. Birds nest in the cavities. Age is important to see.
      Anything like poles (totem, story and mortuary) fall down, so be it. They don't get stood up again.

My brother did a story pole and gave it to me. One year, the beak fell off and wrens nested in the hole.
      I've been told that the pole fell down a couple of years ago. Had become a village landmark.
      I hope that it is still lying in the grass. Maybe 35 years now.

I've used no more than regular exterior house paint. A little wire brushing and small cans of paint.
      I carved some 30" Ravens that seem to like standing in the west coast rain. I think I used a water-based exterior black.
      Brian T

Comment

I suggest to first wire brush the carving then repaint it with regular exterior house paint. For added protection you might want to add two or three coats of satin polyurethane.
        Keep On Carvin'
        Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Remove loose /chipped paint using a brass brush, flap sander, sander, grinder. Any punky or soft areas may need some treatment such as Minwax Wood Hardener or an epoxy wood hardener treatment for rotten wood. You can fill cracks at this point if wanted. Paint using a good exterior paint. Remember the better you prep the piece, and a high quality paint will increase the time between redos and the life of the piece.

Comment

Here is a picture of the carving I’m talking about.

Comment

Neat carving! Use a wire brush and gently clean him off. How old is he?
              You might need a few wipes with 120 grit in the grooves so you don't round anything off.

If anything, underpaint his coat with white, first.
              Then yellow. It will look more yellow with the light reflectance from the white.
              Brian T

Comment

After I paint the boots, hat, and raincoat, is there something I can put on the bare wood (face, legs) to protect those areas? Maybe not necessarily a stain, but just a clear something to protect the wood?

Comment

There's not much for finishes that can withstand any weather for any length of time.
                  Shelter being one of the cheapest and best.
                  Even using Sikkens Cetol, $5M - $50M log homes have to be refinished.

I used Varathane exterior satin poly urethane on 8 carvings. Really slopped it on.
                  Those carvings are mounted out back on the south-facing sides of a row of fence posts.
                  I give up! They are all weathered to the same silver gray.
                  In the shade, in the past 12 months, I have measured a top of +47C (136F) to a low of -30C (-20F).
                  Not much hope, methinks.

I think liberal slops of some exterior polyurethane to seal the wood.
                  Freeze-thaw cycles in wet wood will split your carving quite easily.
                  Brian T

Comment

Working...
                  X