Bubble trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubble trouble

Hi everyone. Since I began making comfort birds, I started using Minwax water base Polycrylic on them. I still the finish well but I am still getting small bubbles in the finish. I am using paint brushes from Harbor freight. I don’t know what else to do.

I carve a lot of comfort birds. I finish them with tung oil, floor wax or I leave the majority of them with no finish at all. I tell those given the natural finish to use 400g sandpaper should they start to get grungy. If they are handled frequently ~ they will become very slick from the friction and from the oil from the hands.

Comment

Flood the finish on heavy with the brush and then blot it off with a paper towel or t-shirt while it is still wet. Then let it dry. You could also apply the finish and rub it in with a t-shirt. No bubbles with these methods.
      'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
      http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sometimes, vigorous stirring will create bubbles in the finish. Application with a foam brush may help.

Tinwood

Comment

You might try a spray clear finish, like Deft. I sometimes use a spray shellac as a sanding sealer, and it would work for a finish coat, too.
          Arthur

Comment

We pot a lot of electronics in housings with epoxy to make the electronics submergible. To prevent/remove bubbles, we heat with a heat gun to keep the compound thin and allow the bubbles to migrate to the surface. I'm not sure how easy it could work with a comfort bird, but maybe a hair dryer could be used?

Tom

Comment

Tru-oil is a good wipe or rub on finish for such projects. It has been used for years on gun stocks. A small bottle goes a long way. Wal-Mart carries is. There are a number of You tubes on using it.
              We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
              https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

If the item is small, you might build a frame for it to sit inside of a vacuum bag and draw a vac. That will expand the small ones and cause them to rise. Something to experiment with if you have a machine. I have not done it before, used butane torch to dance over the surface of a table top. Figures are complex - maybe the heat gun is best.

Comment

Had major issues with the lacquer bubbles.....it was a combination of wood, and humidity and brushwork. This could mean drying out wood from surface moisture before putting on the finish. Putting on thick finish will cause bubbles...meant thinning it out with the right kind of thinner..... this major worked. An even on the paint can say do not thin (Mini wax)...I had to do it so no bubbles. When putting on the thinned finish... I put on lots of coats.... Someone told me to use a paper towel when putting on smaller objects this also major helped in finish work. Also it is noted not to stir the paint will also help plus all of the above methods. Brushwork will also cause bubbles....do not stir the brush in the can and use the one stroke method.

Comment

I use a lot of MinWax Tung Oil Protective Finish which is pretty watery out of the can.

Cheap brushes seem to drag a lot of bubbles into the finish. Maybe the coarse, fat, stiff bristles. Back-and-forth or scrubbing into grooves really froths it up.
                    Good brushes need cleaning but that's less time than poking bubbles.
                    Brian T

Comment

I 've had small Bubbles at times . I just gave it a Light Sanding to break the Bubbles and put on another Coat of Finish . I guess that filled the Bubbles up and Smoothed everything right out. I don't like to over think anything , keeping it simple. Merle

Comment

Working...
                      X