No announcement yet.

BLO Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Arthur , if you look at my latest Carving of ( The Cool Old Man ) this will show you the Color that I got using BLO . I don't Dip it , I put it on with a Piece of Cloth then let it dry over Night before Painting . The only thing on this Carving Bare Wood is Poly U and after Painting I Antiqued it . Antiquing made it a little Darker the Skin Tone that I like . Hope this Helps . Merle

Comment

Break in the clouds

0C50FD22-BC08-4085-8459-F1BBDA058E97.jpeg
      Ed
      Living in a pile of chips.
      https://m.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

Comment

Like Woodburner807 I make a distinction between carving and finishing. When the carving process is done - then I think about how I want it to look on display. I'd like it to stay close to what it looks like at the end of carving, but the reality is it will darken. Some finishes will yellow. If I were to sell the carvings I would consider what would make it appealing to buyers. But I don't, so my concern is for long-term preservation. Currently, I like the results I get from sprayed, water-based satin polyacrylic.

Comment

While I understand that carving and finishing are separate tasks. I think this thread is about trying to get darker finish on basswood without blotches. Most guys tend to find a finish for basswood that is safe and acceptable then stick with it. I’ve only been carving a few years but I like to challenge my skills and seek to improve what I produce with each carving. So shouldn’t we do the same with finish. When I carved my first bust I got some scrap and practiced carving eyes mouths and noses. Before doing on my carving.
          Whenever I do research about wood finishing I end up on furniture builder sites. These guy save scraps as they’re building to practice finishing. Because even though they finished cherry a hundred times it’s the first time with the current wood. Recognizing that they need to adjust the process for the wood on that build. So why not save the scrap from making your rough out to figure out how to finish your projects. I just tried 18 different process on basswood eggs to find one that gave me a result I liked. Do I think this is now the magic formula? No, because what are the chances that my next basswood carving will be on identical wood to that egg. Is it a good starting point for future projects? I hope so.
          Back to the thread what I like about the process I’m using the color is built with by adding layer of gloss poly with dye so you can decide when it’s dark enough.
          Ed
          Living in a pile of chips.
          https://m.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

Comment

Working...
          X