Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny BLO Question?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Funny BLO Question?

    Hello All!

    So I may be nuts and I feel ridiculous asking but I have to know (and I think some of y’all will laugh at this one)!

    I made up an antiquing solution but I didn’t want to make up a whole lot so I measured out into a baby food jar. The jar had been cleaned with soap and water, dried, etc. Today, I wrapped up a carving, popped off the lid and I notice it doesn’t smell like BLO but a mixture of BLO, wild blueberry, banana and beets! I didn’t pay it any mind at first and put it on the carving but now the carving has the same smell!

    Has anyone had this happen to them? This doesn’t have any effect on solutions effectiveness right? Tell me I’m not going to have a baby food smelling Santa on the tree this year. My guess is it’ll all dissipate once cured but man, it smells disgusting!

  • #2
    Ya said ya cleaned the jar. But did ya clean the lid?

    Jest kidding. Is the jar glass? If not, plastic jars and lids don't let go of whatever was on it--especially if it is acidic. Not sure what the baby jar lids are like if they're metal, but if there was a small amount on it, or it's coating--which could be plastic--or even some residue, it's possible the BLO found it and dissolved it.

    Hopefully the smell will dissipate.

    Bob L

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Just Carving View Post
      Ya said ya cleaned the jar. But did ya clean the lid?

      Jest kidding. Is the jar glass? If not, plastic jars and lids don't let go of whatever was on it--especially if it is acidic. Not sure what the baby jar lids are like if they're metal, but if there was a small amount on it, or it's coating--which could be plastic--or even some residue, it's possible the BLO found it and dissolved it.

      Hopefully the smell will dissipate.

      Bob L
      Haha! I did clean the lid! Or so I thought... My guess is that perhaps the rubber seal retained some of the odor?

      I may just end up tossing it and buying fresh jars...I can’t get the smell out of my nose!

      Comment


      • #4
        Bob made a good point about plastic and glass. I always use glass for all my painting stuff (also oil painting on canvas). My guess is the container wasn't cleaned well enough? Regardless, I go to the local Dollar Store and buy my glassware there...new. Risk-averse, I guess.

        A dollar spent and no cleaning required.

        Your odor problem? I don't know but I'd avoid making the same mistake twice. Sorry to hear about it and maybe a few days outside will help?
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

        http://www.westernwoodartist.com

        Comment


        • #5
          you could put the carving in a box along with an ozone generator blowing into it, that will eliminate any odor.
          Denny

          photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm with woodburner807. For just a couple of bucks I buy inexpensive brand new glass jars. This way I know they're clean and I don't have to worry about residues left behind in used jars.
            Keep On Carvin'
            Bob K.

            My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving


            My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9


            My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood


            My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

            Comment


            • #7
              Y’all are definitely right.

              I tried again gain without BLO this time. As an experiment, I took a jam jar and soaked it for a couple hours in soapy water with a hint of bleach to see if it removed any traces from the lid and then let it dry. This morning I still could smell traces!

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't know how you feel about coating it with varathan, or shellac, that should mask the smell on the carving. But I think it will vent off eventually, like you suggested.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  Hello All!
                  I notice it doesn’t smell like BLO but a mixture of BLO, wild blueberry, banana and beets! I didn’t pay it any mind at first and put it on the carving but now the carving has the same smell!
                  You could be on a new avenue for carving pick the right smell and go with it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Daroc View Post

                    You could be on a new avenue for carving pick the right smell and go with it.
                    I agree... How about some carved fruit that smells like what it represents?

                    Claude
                    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

                    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

                    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is really weird.....never heard of such a thing. I do know some people can have a sense of smell that can be extreme.... I am wondering if your one of them. BLO stinks but does it smell like fruit,.... no....my guess if anything the oil would cut out any smell of fruit. Are you sure ....your using boiled Linseed oil or just linseed oil...? If so then ...is there something wrong with the oil?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                        This is really weird.....never heard of such a thing. I do know some people can have a sense of smell that can be extreme.... I am wondering if your one of them. BLO stinks but does it smell like fruit,.... no....my guess if anything the oil would cut out any smell of fruit. Are you sure ....your using boiled Linseed oil or just linseed oil...? If so then ...is there something wrong with the oil?

                        Tell me about it. I think what others have said is partly accurate. The jars even after being soaked in soap and water and bleach are still holding traces of the food. I think the mineral spirits dissolved some and got it into the oil. It’s disappated for the most part but I swear I can still get hints of it. It may be my head.

                        As as an aside, I made another batch but with just mineral spirits, BLO and the oil burnt umber. It doesn’t smell the same as the original batch I made a few years ago. The BLO is a different brand and it really smells much worse than my original batch. Has anyone encountered variation among BLOs like this?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X