sealing wood before painting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sealing wood before painting

ok Im a real beginner at painting someplace I read I think to seal basswood with blo before painting. anyone know about this? I am familiar with using gesso but is there another method?

I use basswood and acrylic paints, I usually wet my wood with water be for painting. Usually, have color breakpoints burn to reduce color bleed. With the would beeing damp it makes it easier to get the sharper breaks between colors. There is a lot of different methods that our painter use. I'm sure you will be getting a full array of techniques Wear an apron
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Carving conifer, cedar in particular, some kind of a sealer is essential.
      I have got into the habit of doing a total but simple underpainting with acrylic titanium white. Any brand will do.
      The surface needs a sealer and I want to hide the deep chocolate color of the wood. The wood color dumbs down any and all paint color.
      If I ever thin any acrylic, I use the acrylic paint medium, never water. Better color, better adhesion and better coverage.
      Brian T

Comment

This may be helpful. It is a a youtube of Lynn Doughty's on how he paints his basswood carvings. No one does it better.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCMneFYSVmY
        Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

tanx guys ...

Comment

Always learn something from Lynn's videos
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks for the link, Randy. Excellent one.
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I always seal with shellac, first as a sanding sealer and then again after sanding before painting. I use a spray can, about one pound cut. Goes on thin, soaks in and doesn't obscure detail, and dries very quickly as the alcohol evaporates.
                Arthur

Comment

I took a carving class taught by Floyd Rhadigan. He sprays two light coats of Krylon Matte Finish, #1311 before painting.
                  Dean

Comment

Working...
                  X