olive oil for finishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• olive oil for finishing

ok i ran out of mineral oil and usually i use mineral oil and wax for a final finish can i use like olive oil or vegtable oil?? is a oil an oil ? this is merely decrotive not to be used for food etc just want it to shine some

You can use olive oil, but it might go rancid.

Comment

try a couple coats of tung oil. dries completely unlike others (linseed) and second coat will build a bit of a shiny film

Comment

Like Steev says, olive oil or vegetable oil will go rancid. Use an oil specially formulated to use on wood as a finish.

Tinwood

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bif View Post
          try a couple coats of tung oil. dries completely unlike others (linseed) and second coat will build a bit of a shiny film
          I think "Boiled Linseed Oil" will dry, Buffalo, but not the raw?
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I have heard of boiled linseed seeping out of wood pores months after application. Doesn't seem worth taking a chance on.

I think linseed is fine for an outdoor ornament- excellent protection, easy to re-apply every year.

Comment

Thanks Buffalo and was curious since boiled linseed oil is used in old oil paints, in artist oil paintings, on gun stocks, and for antiquing wood carving pieces. Currently, I use it for antiquing the wood carvings I do, even those for inside.

I do agree not taking chances for any "unknowns," hence the question.

Thanks again...
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Your experience trumps mine, WB. I have stayed away from linseed based on stories and advice of others, I have no experience of my own.

Comment

Properly heat-baked into the wood, olive oil can't go rancid.
                  I carved 70 spoons and 30 forks and what stock I have left still smells sweet and fresh, even with no use at all.

The oils will sweat out of the wood, even years later (not rancid) when the wood gets warmed up.
                  Backward application of Charles' Law of gas physics.
                  Done right, it should be a coating which cannot be washed off for decades.
                  Brian T

Comment

Hey Guys , I use Boiled Linseed Oil on all my Carvings and have had no Problems at all . That is the first thing I put on my Carvings before Painting . I use it as a Sealer and like the Color that it gives the Wood , in fact that is the Skin Color of my Wood Spirits and Santa Clauses . I leave it dry over night before Painting . I know a lot of Carvers don't use it and that's their choice , but I have used it with success. Just saying. Merle

Comment

Working...
                    X