Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilder
    replied
    Shouldn’t be any problem after the oil has cured. I’ve done it on exterior stuff

Leave a comment:

• MrMeowgi
    replied
    I'll definitely give it a try both ways. Picked up some nice cherry from a tree I cut down today. Saved some for some utensil making. Or kindling. Ha ha

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied
    I know of many carvers, myself included who paint with acrylics after brushing on a coat of BLO first and have never had a problem. It will definitely change the way in which the paint soaks into the wood but I find that the application is more controlled that way. As always, if you're in doubt try it on a piece of scrap wood first.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    I paint with acrylic paints and then finish with a coat of boiled linseed oil and raw umber. The raw umber is added to antique the piece and gives a brownish tint. Lots of raw umber will make the work a dark brown, depending on the amount added. Add some raw umber and then test it on a scrap piece of basswood.

Acrylics over any oil paint doesn't sound like a good idea to me...but, never did it.

Good luck and it sounds like you are rapidly progressing. Great.

Leave a comment:

• MrMeowgi
    replied
    Hmm interesting on both end. I do have some clear coat spray I can use. Or just let them be either way.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Di , I always thought don't Paint over Oil for that reason but for some reason it works for me . I don't soak my Carvings in BLO , just put on a good coat for 20 min. then wipe down and let dry over night and then Paint . I have had none peal off or Chip . Maybe it's just Dumb Luck on my Part . Ha,Ha . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    You can not put paint on top of oil....the paint will pop off or will not go on at all. Unless you are using oil paint on top of linseed. But it is not a normal thing to do. I do not put linseed on my carvings anymore I do not like the long term color change.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    I put BLO 0n just about all my Carvings especially if their is going to be Skin showing . I don't see any advantage of Blo if your going to Paint the Whole Piece . Merle

Leave a comment:

• MrMeowgi
    started a topic Oil finishing before painting

Oil finishing before painting

Been painting some of my carvings. Wondering if using linseed oil is needed before painting or will it actually change the color of the finished product. Got the oil to finish spoons I'll be making. Just wondered if I need to oil the paintables
    ​​​​ before. Thanks in advance
Working...
X