Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian T
    replied
    At 6 AM this morning, it was -35C outside my windows. My cat was chirping at me to get under the covers. Neighbor builds log furniture, all finished with Cetol. Very expensive and very durable.
    Our temperature swings are compensated in that finish.

Leave a comment:

• VictorMet7
    replied
    Originally posted by VictorMet7 View Post
    A couple of years? Dude, it will actually get killled even faster. I mean, in case you actually use the exposy resin, the freeze-thaw would kill the finish in the first days of cold weather. I even made that mistake by myself back when I was just getting started with woodcarving, and in general doing anything with my own hands. It was also a table, and it got killed in the first winter. Ahhh, I just remembered myself that I have to finish a stand keeps laptops at adjustable angle for proper viewing. Maybe I just have to buy one....
    My dad's table just got ruined during the last night!

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    At 4 AM this morning, it was -33C outside my windows. In the shade, no less, I have seen +47C in the summer. Sikkens Cetol survives all that with no problems.

Leave a comment:

• VictorMet7
    replied
    A couple of years? Dude, it will actually get killled even faster. I mean, in case you actually use the exposy resin, the freeze-thaw would kill the finish in the first days of cold weather.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Freeze-thaw, freeze-thaw, freeze-thaw is going to kill the finish in a couple of years. Then you're faced with the prospect of refinishing. That will take some patience.

I guess that I'm trying to say there's every chance you will be disappointed in a couple of years.

Spar varnish is good. Sikkens Cetol is expensive and probably the best for $25,000,000 log homes.
    I put 8 carvings outside on fence posts in among a row of grape vines. They face south. Took just 2 years and they are as weathered gray as a wet sky. I'm still trying to convince myself that I don't care.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Marine Spar Varnish is what I hear many use. Go to your local Marine supply store and inquire to them. It isn't cheap, but designed for outdoor harsh environments.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    You need to tell us more about the carving you are doing on the table top. Relief or chip carving often exposes large areas of end grain that are difficult to finish. One clue that comes to my mind is the finish recommended for these kayaks. The outer surfaces are fiberglass resin. The manufacturer of the kits recommended marine spar varnish over the surface. This has held up quite well, but the kayaks are stored indoors.

kayaks.jpg

Leave a comment:

• bobh16@hotmail.com
    started a topic Outdoor table finish

Outdoor table finish

I am carving an outdoor table top at my cottage, and was going to finish it with an epoxy resin. I was told this would not last in the freezing outdoors. What are my alternative ways of coving my carving?
    Cheers Bob
Working...
X