Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

I usually apply linseed oil to slow cracking on my polar bears, and while finishing up a brown bear, am realized the Danish oil is coming out too light! I should not have linseed oiled him I guess!
    How can I fix it!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

I use artist grade LSO and add a bit of raw umber or another color I like. Not familiar with the Danish Oil.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I am wondering if I can wipe it off and use fine steel wool to take it down.
      The linseed oil really slows crackin, wasn't thinking of the Danish oil until the mistake!

Comment

I'm not sure, but it is a penetrating finish and might cause more problems. I've found monkeying around always makes things worse. ☹ However I never had the problem and someone with experience might have a solution. I wonder if you could test a piece of basswood and put on the Danish finish and then put the linseed over it?
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I have had no problems with putting oils over the danish, or even tung oil under the danish.
          This tho, dangit!
          I only have willows, no other woods, no stores up here, I have paint thinner tho!

Comment

You might also use Watco Danish Oil, Golden Oak. I use one on top of the other on occassion
            . . .JoeB

Comment

The only one they sold at the home hardware store in town was Watco light walnut.
              I sanded it down, steel wooled it, and wiped it down with acetone.
              the color is all off, now I am wondering if the Danish oil will hold, or should I sand some more.

Comment

Your venturing to waters that I've never treaded
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Becky , they both are Cute little Buggers. I think you have taken enough off the Surface to redo your Finish . What you are going thru is trying different things to get what you want the Bear to look like , that is the Fun part of this Hobby . You may end up with better results than expected . Try thinning Brown Paint and Paint him , I used Acrylic Paint . Your Interest and Determination is Showing so keep it up and have Fun . Merle

Comment

Thank you!
                    After the acetone, i waited ten minutes than reapplied the Danish oil, it is much better now!
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi Becky , feels good when a Plan comes together , Huh ? Ha,Ha. Good Job. Merle

Comment

Yes!
                        would have not been such a crisis, but it's an ordered piece lol!

Comment

Unfortunately they don't sell acrylic paint here, I am stuck with minimal oils, sometimes bush life is trying!

Comment

What about Amazon, that is kind of my go-to place anymore, at least first, then elsewhere if I have too
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Opus Art Supplies, Vancouver. Big old mail-order presence.
                              Brian T

Comment

Working...
                              X