deck finish for outdoor carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deck finish for outdoor carving

I was wondering if anyone had tried deck finish on outdoor carvings. Something like Thompsons oil seal, or any of the other sealer/finishes. Are there draw backs I am not seeing?

The usual drawback is having to replace the finish. I was planning to clean up and refinish this carving that had hung outside my home for about 15 years. It is redwood, 4 x 7.5 feet. Members of this site convinced me to leave it alone - let the natural weathering take it's course.

023.JPG

Comment

I don't see why not. I did a pair of 30" ravens and painted them black with regular alkyd black house paint. Couldn't think of a more durable outdoor finish. I was right.

Some poles look best regularly maintained. Others stand and face the ocean until they fall down, never to be erected again. The paint weathers off, even the original mineral preparations. There's a philosophical aspect to weathering as a component of the aging process. People, carvings, all the same.
      Brian T

Comment

I have used boat deck finishes, teak oil, spar varnishes, but I have never used the house deck finishes.
        Last edited by Randy; 09-19-2021, 12:11 AM.
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Randy: why not? What's not to like about deck finishes on outdoor carvings?
          Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
            Randy: why not? What's not to like about deck finishes on outdoor carvings?
            I was not clear Brian. No objection, I just haven't ever tried home deck finishes.
            Last edited by Randy; 09-19-2021, 12:14 AM.
            We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
            https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

That stuff's expensive, and I don't know how long it keeps after opening...it may not be economical unless you have an awful lot to treat at once or it stays useable for a long time. Interesting idea, Sappy, keep us informed if you try it.
              Arthur

Comment

Depends on your environment...deck finish on a deck will last a year due to sun, heavy rain and high moisture in the air. Here nothing last without yearly maintenance.

Comment

Remember my "Animal Family" of 17" x 5" animal faces? I decided that I wanted them outside to see from the house all day.
                  Eight of them, two on each fence post, facing the weather from the south. Two years and they all (6 cedar and 2 aspen) were a lovely silver grey color. In the more recent 5(?) years, they have not changed. They outlive me? That's OK. I have no plans at all to dress them up.
                  Brian T

Comment

Thank you all for the responses. The reason I asked is because I use a deck product on my deck and a hand rail made of black walnut. I can see Dileons concerns for sun and moisture living where she does. Here it is dry. I redo my deck every five years or so. Yes, the product lasts in the can as long as it doesn't freeze. And Pallin's photo reminded me, if a deck product is used it will most likely make everything the same color, instead of having those great contrasts. And I don't know how it would work over painted carvings. Randy, I have used spar varnish also, the deck product seems to be more of an oil, depending on the brand used. I am thinking it would do nice on a carving like a bear, but maybe Brian is right to just let it be.

Comment

Working...
                    X