Patio Paint ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio Paint ?

I just got a new how to book by Mike Stinnett. One of my favorite stick makers. The paint he uses on snake canes is “patio paint” a outdoor acrylic. I had not seen or used this paint. I Just wondered if any of have had experienced with using this product?
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Randy - being a painter, the first thing that came into my mind was Porch & Floor paint.
    I googled it and see that it is actually a craft paint in small bottles. I've never heard of it.
    Watching Mike's videos, the paint appears to go on smooth and covers well. this does bear looking into.

DecoArt Patio Paint outdoor paint is permanent, weather-resistant acrylic paint for outdoor decorating on concrete, wood, and terra cotta. Patio Paint is formulated for water resistance and excellent adhesion in changing temperatures.
    Retired Dimensional Graphics Artist (a/k/a Sign Carver)

Comment

These are outdoor acrylic craft paints. I have used a few ...actually did not notice any difference in lasting longer than regular hobby paints.... although I was using it to paint things on cement and pottery. But it did not last...long. A year outside and it was popping off. On cement, it was better to use outdoor house paint.. and a good sealer on top for lasting effects. Today....For my outdoor thing I use regular water down hobby paints, it is the sealer that holds it on.
      DiLeon
      Senior Member Hawaii
      Last edited by DiLeon; 11-13-2021, 10:09 AM.
      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post

These are outdoor acrylic craft paints. I have used a few ...actually did not notice any difference in lasting longer than regular hobby paints.... although I was using it to paint things on cement and pottery. But it did not last...long. A year outside and it was popping off. On cement, it was better to use outdoor house paint.. and a good sealer on top for lasting effects. Today....For my outdoor thing I use regular water down hobby paints, it is the sealer that holds it on.
        Thanks Di. I was wonderig if there was any difference in duration. Your climet is humid and warm much like ours on the gulf. That is hard on craft type paints. I use a marine spar varnish or urethane to finish and seal most carvings and sticks.
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

I use exterior house paint. Did a pair of 30" ravens in black that stand outdoors in the Vancouver, BC weather. 2" - 4" rain in a day isn't unusual. Last I saw of them, the western red cedar was cracking like it always does (look at ANY poles) but the paint finish looked great. Maybe 5(?) years?
          Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
            I use exterior house paint. Did a pair of 30" ravens in black that stand outdoors in the Vancouver, BC weather. 2" - 4" rain in a day isn't unusual. Last I saw of them, the western red cedar was cracking like it always does (look at ANY poles) but the paint finish looked great. Maybe 5(?) years?
            Now, make that an oil-base paint and touch it up frequently on the open grain. It might help with cracking/checking? That's all we have time for, right? :lol:

Comment

Really old poles were done with old-fashioned oil-based house paints. The paint cracks and peels more than the more modern acrylics. It is most unusual to see any poles regularly maintained. Hard to get organized to re-do a 30 foot - 60 foot pole. I knew that the pair of Ravens would get left outdoors in the weather. That they slowly decompose and crack is acceptable.
              Brian T

Comment

Randy - after my note above, I purchased a few small bottles of the paint just to see how it goes.
                for me, it went on smooth and covered well, I painted over Shellac sealer, gray automotive primer and raw wood. all had good results. It does dry a little quicker than other paints I use, so that's a plus for me. like any new product, you have to play around with thinning and which brush to use. I can't speak for the longevity as it's only been a few days. Besides, I won't be using it for items that would be left outside.
                If Mike Stinnett uses it and endorses it, that's good enough for me. (a color wheel is a nice tool to have).
                Color Wheel.jpg

Retired Dimensional Graphics Artist (a/k/a Sign Carver)

Comment

Working...
                X