Want an easy way to mix a fleshtone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want an easy way to mix a fleshtone?

Simply mix any ‘Burnt Umber’ and any white to match the desired ‘Value’ and you will have created a flesh tone. You can then ‘adjust’ the hue (color) with any color.

For example: The nose of your santa needs to be a little more red - just add a very small amount of red to your flesh tone until you reach the desired redness.

If the chroma becomes too intense add small amounts of gray that is the same value as the desired color until you have a perfect match.

That is it! Just 3 easy steps…
    1. mix ‘burnt umber’ and white to the desired ‘VALUE
    2. if needed shift the color (hue) by adding small amounts of the desired color
    3. if needed decrease the intensity (chroma) by adding small amounts of the same value gray.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: because flesh tones are not high chroma any quality of paint will work. Feel free to mix hobby paints and artist paints. But, you must start with a ‘Burnt Umber

All colors are completely defined by their associated 3 attributes:
    1. Hue - distinguishes one color from another and is described using common color names such as Yellow, Orange, Magenta, Violet, Cyan or Green
    2. Value - refers to the lightness or darkness of a color. It defines a color in terms of how close it is to white or black.
    3. Chroma - is the attribute that expresses the purity of a color. Chroma is reduced when any color is added. A pure hue with black, white, or gray added reduces its purity and lowers the chroma while maintaining the original hue. It is important to realize that a given hue with a given value can have many different values of chroma.
    John
    ​​​​​
    "Quality is not expensive. It is priceless!"

Thanks...............
    . . .JoeB

Comment

John, I can’t wait to try some of this. It seems way to simple. I also like your inkjet post.
      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Thanks a lot John...I will try

Comment

Working...
        X