X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why use a polymerizing oil first.

The magic is in the crusty bits.
    156C3DF7-26D6-42E1-ADD5-3DC39A54097B.jpg
    This is the best way I can think of to show why I think the first step in finishing any carving should be the application of a polymerizing oil. The crusty bits at the mouth of my tung oil bottle are polymerized oil. This what happens inside the wood of your treated carving. The oil forms these strong hard long polymer chains enter twined and bound with the wood fibers strengthening and hardening the wood. The wood and this natural plastic like substance become one. My test have shown me that tung oil will penetrate up to 1/2” trough basswood side grain.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Nebraska; 05-14-2022, 09:25 AM.

Interesting! Thanks!

Comment

Tung oil has been my go to finish for many years too. I also like walnut oil. If time is a issue I will use Danish oil for its quick curing time.
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
        Tung oil has been my go to finish for many years too. I also like walnut oil. If time is a issue I will use Danish oil for its quick curing time.
        I haven’t tried walnut oil the idea of the clearer oil is appealing but the 6 month cure time before I can finish applying finish is just exceeds my patience tolerance. Do you use heat to shorten the cure time?

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post

I haven’t tried walnut oil the idea of the clearer oil is appealing but the 6 month cure time before I can finish applying finish is just exceeds my patience tolerance. Do you use heat to shorten the cure time?
          I have used it on bowls and cutting boards mostly, just a few carvings. I use "Mike Mahoney's walnut oil". It is a heat treated oil. the heat treating lessions the drying time. To days or week rather than months. I think climate has a lot to do with it also. When I lived in Arizona It cured in a few days. Here in Alabama it was about 3 week before it was cured. I only do one coat with it and the I use a wax. I use it mostly when maintaining the natural color is importain to me, like colors in some of the exodic woods. One thing to note is if your have nut allergies you may not want to use walnut oil.
          Last edited by Randy; 05-14-2022, 12:31 PM.
          We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
          https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Tung oil is what I use on unpainted carvings and other wood art.
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Working...
            X