Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-finished an archtop guitar with true oil high gloss finish

Hi Guys
    My friend Jay wood built this guitar and he wasn't happy with the finish he had got on it so he asked me to have a go at re-finishing it. At the same time I carved a little out of the re-curve all around the top outside edge and increased the response of the top quite significantly and nearly doubled the ring time of a single played note. It also mellowed the sound significantly.

The top is cedar and to get good sound vibration transfer over the top I diluted the tru oil sealer 30% and swamped the top and back in it so that it soaked right into the wood fible and sealed all the fibre. I did this until the top wouldn't absorb any more sealer.

It was then sanded down to 1000 grit and buffed to a shine before spraying with20% diluted tru- oil. I had a room pre heated to ensure the oil tacked off quickly so it wouldn't run.

I used a very very fine spray and went over it until I got a very thin wet film that levelled over the top. As soon as it got to that super gloss point I put it in the hotroom.

This I did three times.

Took a couple of small dings out of the neck and satin finished that as satin finished they play better than gloss as the hand doesn't stick to it quite the same and you can get up and down the neck a little faster.

After a couple of days to harden I cut and polished it and gave it a final polish with liquid silver polish which has a very fine abrasive in it. Then a coat of minwax and a good buffing with a soft cloth.

The end result is pretty good i think.
    Attached Files

Wow Glenn, if it plays as good as it looks, it is a tru oil winner. Interesting design.
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Stunning work, Glenn, and a piece of art... beautiful piece.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Hi Tom
        It has a surprisingly full bodied sound and volume now for such a thin bodied acoustic guitar. The archtops behave quite differently to the conventional round hole flat top. I have 4 archtops and it wouldn't be at all out of place in the collection. hehehe This one is a fan fret which is quite unusual. It makes for ease of playing.

They were built originaly for jazz but were often used for blues as well. With a flat top the player gets to hear the full benefit of the sound of the guitar. With an archtop they project the sound away from the guitar and the player doesn't get the full value of the sound quality of the instrument. Many have a cut out in the side that is at the top when played and closest to the ear, which lets the player get a bit more of the tone value when playing it.

The thickness of the top around the edge is critical to the performance as the whole top sort of acts as a speaker diaphragm. Very small changes can make a big difference. To get it right after cleaning the top right up I put the strings back on it and kept trimming aroundthe edge until no further improvement was being gained and that was the sweetspot for it.

Hi Bill
        Thanks mate. I'm real glad she turned out looking good. I spent around 40 hours on it to get to that stage. Think my mate Jay will be happy with her now.
        Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 06-12-2022, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Glenn, I hope you plan to post pics when it is all put back together. Wish I could hear it.\\\\
          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Man OH Man, what a stunning instrument. Once you get thru with it, it almost going to be too nice to play. I know a pickguard would take away from its looks, just hope whoever plays it, plays it with respect.

It's never been strung has it
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Wow Glenn, that is absolutely a beautiful finish.
              Mark N. Akers
              My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

I'm impressed!.....

Comment

Hi, Glenn, you are definitely a Master Finisher , all your Guitars that you made have Great Finishes. Got a Question Mate, How much Shine is on your Car ??? Ha,Ha. Merle

Comment

Beautiful work!

Comment

Nice finish Glenn!

BobL

Comment

Hi Tom
                        Will post some pics for you.

Hi Joe
                        It has a small pickguard. She has been played for a few months before I got it to give her a workover. Jay will play her for a few month before he MAYBE sells it. I am giving her a workout when I can but my hand is not up to it at the moment.

Hi Merle
                        The car!! Well lets not go there, suffice to say it is not unknown for stuff to be growing on it. The trees dump stuff all over it and the pollens attract algies and stuff that is a pain to remove. But I do "TRY" to keep it sort of respectable with respectable being a fairly elastic term if you know what I mean.

I was too crook to clean it for two and a half months. what a mission to get it looking good again when I got some of the use of my limbs back again. Phew!!!!!

Hi Guys
                        Thanks for your nice comments.

Comment

I'm Waiting to see it stung and ready to go!
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe, Tom,
                            Well here she is all strung up and had a good thrashing.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I'll tell you what Glenn if its sound is as impressive as it looks, it is one grand possession. A treasure for sure
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                              X