Howards feed n wax advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howards feed n wax advice

So i purchased some feed n wax in the Uk after seeing it recommended in various videos and on forums as a good finish for carvings.

i have followed the instructions and tried leaving it over night on various woods, basswood, pine, birch and unknown pallet woods.

It just doesnt seem to actually dry, therefore i cant buff it any sheen. Im not expecting a high sheen, like i can get with briwax, just a subtle sheen.
    I like the idea of it also being an oil, as that does highlight some details in the carving, whereas briwax alone doesnt, but when it soaks in and ive left it a few days it looks no different than boiled linseed oil, which is much cheaper.

i even poured a small amount out on a tray and left it for 2 weeks, thinking any spirits would evaporated and I'd be left with the wax, but after that time it was no different than the contents of the bottle.

Any advice or suggestions on how you use yours would be hugely appreciated.
    Thanks

Rich, I have not used the feed-n-wax on carvings, but I use it all the time on everything in my house. It is a more liquid product and is not meant to harden if applied heavy. I use it very sparingly and rub it into the wood, wiping off all excess. It is a very good wax product and goes a long way when used sparingly. Hope this helps.

Comment

It is more a treatment than a finish. Like Sappy said apply sparingly, let sit and wipe off excess. I use it to refresh wooded bowls and cutting boards. Some like the soft luster it gives to a carving. There are a number of good oil finishes you may want to try. we all have our own favorite. I like 100% natural Tung oil. Danish oil, boiled linseed oil popular too. Each has its pros and cons. Walnut oil, Mineral oil and Tung oil are food safe choices. This is good the think about if small kids may have access to the work. There may be some others in the UK that are popular. Waxes can be used as a finish also. There are many that use Bees wax or hardwood floor waxes.
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Rich, I do use Feed nWax on a lot of my HARD Woods but try to stay away form any grainy woods. Your thoughts are good, if you can, try to find a landscaper and see if they have any hard wood , they usually will give you some if you tell them what you are doing with it. It never hurts to try, plus you have invested in the Wax so use it where you can. Now I have used it on Basswood and yes all it does is bring out some color, but it is a good seal and EVEN on those "nasty" pallet woods. It does make it look better too. And like Sappy said wipe it off as soon as it looks settled. That is what I do too.

Randy has some real great ideas too. !!

Cheers and good luck, keep trying anything,,
        Chuck
        Chuck
        Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

I use the Feed-N-Was on all my carvings, not for the shine, but for the richness, it seems to give a carving
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
            I use the Feed-N-Was on all my carvings, not for the shine, but for the richness, it seems to give a carving
            True Joe!!
            Chuck
            Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Working...
            X