Disappointed in new Minwax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointed in new Minwax

Needed some gloss polyurethane grabbed a can of minwax at the local hardware. Noticed the labeling had changed. Open it up and went to stir but there was no thick material on the bottom of the can. This stuff has consistency not much thicker than water. Applied to the carving as usual and it darken the wood as expected. After drying overnight the wood has returned to near its original color. This is not the polyurethane I’m used to.

I hate it when those kind of changes are made and I do not know it. Your going for a look your planning on and its not there. Your left with sanding it off or settling for a look you do not like. I like to bring out the grain most of my sticks. I started doing a 50% thinned tung oil as my first coat and almost all of them. Just like the look.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
      Needed some gloss polyurethane grabbed a can of minwax at the local hardware. Noticed the labeling had changed. Open it up and went to stir but there was no thick material on the bottom of the can. This stuff has consistency not much thicker than water. Applied to the carving as usual and it darken the wood as expected. After drying overnight the wood has returned to near its original color. This is not the polyurethane I’m used to.
      Isn't great when THEY want the good stuff to change and try to improve with watered down junk!
      Chuck
      Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

To quote a product review for another product....." The formula change is an example of "skimpflation," substituting cheaper ingredients without alerting customer." In this case it's all about formula changes for "Smart Balance" spread. All of a sudden it's taste changed but even more importantly, the darn stuff wouldn't melt. So many customers revolted and left 1 Star reviews that the company is in the process of reverting back to it's old formula. I guess that's similar to the poly you're disappointed in. The only thing that will change company policies is for users to tell them that it sucks.​

Comment

You need to watch everything these days due to shortage of materials or being too expensive a lot of things are changing the formula of things. It is also noted they do not by law have to change the labels even. This includes food also....can not tell how many time I get food items I once love that tasted terrible due to changes. One bakery was awesome and today it went to the trash can, they put something in their bread that was not good. Even my favorite dish soap changed the ingredients and it performs about fifty percent less than the old brand. I think with the way things are going this issue is going to get worst instead of better. Thanks for the mini wax information. Even the dining places here have gone major downhill in getting good food. No wonder a lot of companies are closing down these days, bad goods at higher prices. By the way people's main fear is they are going to start putting bugs in the food as protein fillers.
          Last edited by DiLeon; 01-22-2023, 03:30 PM.
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Did you get the oil-based polyurethane or the acrylic? I use the oil based satin quite a bit, buying in small cans when possible. The thin-ness is exactly what I am looking for in a fresh new can. I am applying it to my carvings or caricatures that I have painted with acrylic paints and I am wanting it to soak in and not leave a a dark or yellow finish. Now after the can has been opened and closed and used, it has a tendency to get thicker. I may still use it on some things, but it doesn't soak in like the fresh stuff. I'm not wanting something that sits on the surface.
            'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
            http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Randy
              mpounders
              DiLeon
              Eddy-Smiles
              NoDNA

It appears it is my perception that is off I contacted minwax and they have not change the formulation.

Comment

Randy
                mpounders
                DiLeon
                Eddy-Smiles
                NoDNA

It appears it is my perception that is off I contacted minwax and they have not change the formulation.
                In the age of nothing but lies and misinformation,.... I do not believe this is true. If something is off, it is off. Sick of the standard, That people are too stupid to know when something is wrong so we will denial of what is real. Who am I going to believe your First perception or a business trying to cover its rear end???......simple, I believe you.
                . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
                  To quote a product review for another product....." The formula change is an example of "skimpflation," substituting cheaper ingredients without alerting customer." In this case it's all about formula changes for "Smart Balance" spread. All of a sudden it's taste changed but even more importantly, the darn stuff wouldn't melt. So many customers revolted and left 1 Star reviews that the company is in the process of reverting back to it's old formula. I guess that's similar to the poly you're disappointed in. The only thing that will change company policies is for users to tell them that it sucks.​
                  LIKE Snickers, and the other ones I like.. New improved LOOK! New packaging!! Ah and cut out the size numbers.
                  Chuck
                  Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Randy
                    mpounders
                    DiLeon
                    Eddy-Smiles
                    NoDNA

And if anyone is interested I've got some land to sell you about 50 miles west-southwest of Miami.

Comment

Working...
                    X