Deft alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deft alternative?

None of the outlets in my area carry Deft anymore. I tried using an automotive spray lacquer as an alternative. The finish I got was a high gloss almost plastic looking finish. Can anyone suggest an alternative lacquer product that would give me a satin finish?
    Thanks,
    Grandpa Rusty

Re: Deft alternative?

Gramps, I would think Krylon would have a satin finish spray that might work.

Tom
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Minwax has a satin finish in a spray can also

Comment

I know some peope use Krylon matte finish # 1311.
        Terry

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will give them a try.

Rusty

Comment

The Krylon and Minwax finishes are polyurethane and not lacquer, so if you are set on a lacquer finish, you will have to find another product. I believe both Ace Hardware and TruValu stores carry their own brands of lacquer in gloss, semi-glossd and satin finishes.

Al

Comment

Thanks...both companies have local outlets.

Comment

Minwax has BOTH a polyurethane, and a clear satin lacquer...I went to check on Alarchies statement and found the poly in my carving room, and the lacquer in the garage.. Since I do a lot of stylized carvings, with multiple coats of lacquer , I don't use polyurethanes..

Comment

Is acrylic undercoating a lacquer?

Comment

Minuteman.
                    No acrylic is a water based product and thinned with water and will raise the grain and more sanding may have to be done.Lacquerers are oil based and thinned with lac quire thinners and are used for carvings that have fine detail that you do not want to be lost when you paint with acrylics Seal the carving with lacquerer thinned 50/50 several coats works well for me
                    Gordo.
                    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"&&-old Nordic proverb

Comment

If you go to the automotive paint store, they can sell you "flattening compound" that you add to..well...pretty much anything. If you have ever opened a can (quart/gal) of "clear" satin or semi-gloss...put a stir stick in it and pulled up a gob of gook on the bottom of the stick???? that is the flattening compound. The only diff between satin, semi, flat, is the amount of compound in the mix...the more the compound, the flatter the finish

Comment

If I used Deft (Lacquer) Clear Wood Finish to seal a basswood carving prior to using gesso before painting it, will that work as well, or do any of you have any other ideas?

Comment

Yes, the Deft, gesso method works, but hides a lot of the wood grain. Thin the gesso to a 50/50 mix.

Comment

Grandpa Rusty
                            I know that Deft has an enviromently safe product out here in Canada and it works just as good as the old stuff.I have only seen it a 1 carving supplier up here but I am sure a carving supplier in the US would have it. It is just new on the market. Also Watco product has a lacquer spray sealer ( I got this at our local hardware store)

Rob Wilson
                            The following info is a personal preference and I have used both ways. Spray your finished carving with Deft (or what ever you choose)2-3 coats and then start your painting process without using gesso. or spray your finished carving with deft ( or what ever you choose) 2-3 coats and then 1 coat of 50/50 gesso. Then start your painting. Keep in mind that gesso can raise the grain and also fill in your hard work on the fine detail of the carving. Just don't put it on straight.Like I said I have use both ways and they both work well.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the help and the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X