X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muddler
    • Mar 2007

Worksharp sharpening system

Has anyone here got any feed back on the WorkSharp sharpening system that is being sold through Garrett Wade?

At Garrett Wade, we provide fine tools made by renowned artisans worldwide. Explore woodworkers hardware, workshop equipment, and garden tools for sale.

Muddler
  • Mitchell
    • Mar 2024

Re: Worksharp sharpening system

Looks similar to Tormek....

I don't know anything about it.
    Member of Caricature Carvers of America
    My website: https://mitchellcartledgewoodcarvings.com

Comment

• BobD (Archive)
      Archived User
      • Aug 2004

I've gotten one to review...and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Little preview of my review (too many views there <GRIN>)...

I sharpened all of my regular bench chisels (the ones I use for cutting through nails, knots, and all sorts of other things I shouldn't use it for) in less then 1/2 hour...from nicked and bunged up to slicing across the end grain of pine.

That was with the integrated sharpening guide and the glass wheels. When I went to restore some old carving tools (gouges, etc.). I switched to the see-through wheels...and it worked great there too.

I like the fact that you can go from sharpening a plane iron to stropping your knife without a lot of hassle.

Bob

Comment

• muddler
        • Mar 2007

I have read some posts (here or elsewhere) on the Jool system and one of the things that was mentioned was that there was a problem with the Jool system when it came to sharpening knives. There seemed to be a problem that the users were having (with the Jool) when they tried to sharpen a short bladed knife, the blade would catch the abrasive paper and cut/tear the sheet when the blade was turned over to do the second side. The cutting edge was turned into the direction of the abrasives rotation. From what I can tell this would not be a problem with the Work Sharp. I like what I have seen in the demo video it seems to be what I have been looking for. The system sells for about $200, I figure about $300 after you get a few extras to make changing a little easier. Garrett Wade is showing "Back Ordered" right now so there must be a good number of folks that like what they have seen and are willing to plunk down the cash.

Muddler

Comment

• xsailer
          • Feb 2006

Has anyone compared the two different tools, Jool and WoodSharp? I'm beginning to get interested. I've seen the Jool demo'd and worry about the disk catching on the sharpened tool once in while. The Woodsharp looks like it would be more stable. I really don't need the Straight chisels sharpening device as I would be mostly sharpening Wood carving gouges and similiar. Neither look good for sharpening knives Am I wrong?

Comment

• BobD (Archive)
            Archived User
            • Aug 2004

I saw the jooltool sharpening knives, and it wasn't bad at that. Tom Matus loves it for knives.

It took me a bit to figure out how to sharpen knives without catching the edge. It turns out that you hold your knife at parallel with the rotation of the tool...and it doesn't catch.

The Worksharp that I uses is the low speed one, and I did notice a bit of "vibration" when using the see-through discs (due to the slotted wheel), but it didn't bother me too much. They have a new high speed one that they are also sending me. It comes out in the end of June; I'll let you know what I think of that one.
            From the advance information they've sent me, it looks like it is set up specifically for carvers; the focus is on the see-through wheel. There is only one setting for flat tool angles (instead of 3 or 4 with the original), and it is faster...

I'll let you know.

Bob

Comment

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
              • Mar 2024

In my opinion for what its worth, is that all of these machines should be reversable!
              "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

• BobD (Archive)
                Archived User
                • Aug 2004

Good idea Dave!!! It should be easy to do! Can I mention that suggestion in my review???

Bob

Comment

• xsailer
                  • Feb 2006

BobD,
                  Would be very intersted in hearing your appraisal (or any others)of the "newer" WoodSharp tool. Would it be too much to ask for your comments on the forum instead of waiting for the published word? I'm wanting to purchase either the Jool or the WoodSharp tool ASAP, of course I would want the made for woodcarvers version appraisal before buying. They both appear to be good tools I guess maybe it would come down personal choices.

Comment

• chuckt
                    • Jan 2007

Wow! This system looks really nice and quite a bit less costly than the JoolTool. Both have the advantage of being able to see the edge you are sharpening but this one has the ability to hold the tool in a built in jig for precise bevel angle setting. Cool!

Now I think I am leaning towards this system. Bob - I am really looking forward to your full review. I'd really like to see a side by side comparison type review between this system, the Woodcraft Horizontal sharpening system, the JoolTool, the Chipping Away style Ultimate Power Sharpener, the Burke, etc. There are so many power sharpening systems out now that it can be tough trying to decide which is the "best" way to go.

Based on Mark's review in the other thread here I was all set to plunk my $ down for the JoolTool - but this system is very nice and less costly it seems.

I was just going to cross post about a thread on the "other" mags board in their Tools area where the issue of sharpening small knives and catching the edge on the JoolTool was raised. That author also positively reviewing the Woodcraft Horizontal sharpening system and had no problem sharpening small knives with it. At $100 it is even less costly - but you can't see the edge you are sharpening like with this system.

I am wondering - they showed using the slotted guide under the tool for sharpening bench chisels - do they have anything for maintaining a standard bevel angle for sharpening carving knives or gouges - or is that all done freehand?

Also - when sharpening knives and you need to sharpen the other side - do you turn the blade edge into the rotation of the disk? Or do you also have to hold the blade tangentially to the rotation to avoid digging the edge into the abrasive? With this tool given the rigidity of the disk it may be less of an issue that with the JoolTool.

Thoughts?
                    ChuckT

Comment

• BobD (Archive)
                      Archived User
                      • Aug 2004

You have to free-hand the bevels on gouges, but since you can see the bevel through the spinning wheel, it isn't a problem.

When sharpening knives you need to hold the blade tangentially to the rotation.

One thing I forgot to note; the leather stropping wheel is NOT see-through. But they include micro abrasives for the slotted wheel, and it is very, very fine grit (about as coarse as the compound you put on a strop). For gouges, I don't even use the stop, I keep the microabrasive wheel on and use that. It polishes it as well as the strop.

Bob

Comment

• chuckt
                        • Jan 2007

Cool! This system looks like a real winner. Will your review be a full article in the next issue? Or posted here? I don't want to wait too much longer on getting a system. If you had to choose between this or the JoolTool - which would you go with and why?

FYI for others following this thread. This tool is also available from other vendors than Garret Wade (Grizzly, Rockler, Northern Tools, etc.) so it may not be backordered from other vendors.

ChuckT

Comment

• chuckt
                          • Jan 2007

Hmm - just realized that the one thing this system doesn't do that the JoolTool does is polish the inner bevel of gouges. I suppose one could always continue to use a molded wood strop (either power or manual) or a cloth type buffing wheet to achieve that end.

I don't think even the JoolTool grinds an inner bevel on gouges though. This is something the Chris Pye seems to feel is important, but I guess that can really only be achieved with slipstones. How important do others here feel setting an inner bevel is?

ChuckT

Comment

• BobD (Archive)
                            Archived User
                            • Aug 2004

I couldn't choose! I think either is a good choice. I like the variable speed options of the jool tool, but I think the WorkSharp does a better job with flat chisels and plane irons (I restore old planes as a hobby). So for me, the flexibility of the Work Sharp (and how amazingly fast I can sharpen flat tools) makes it my winner.

That said, I'm extremely particular about my plane irons. a 25-degree bevel with a micro bevel...I can't see how to get a precise bevel and microbevel on the JoolTool

I also like the Work Sharp because I can lap the back side of my chisels and plane irons... so that would be my choice...it handle's all of my sharpening needs.

That said. if I were only sharpening carving tools...it would be a very difficult call!!! Everyone I've talked to absolutely loves their JoolTool...and thinks they are well worth the money!

So...I'm firmly on the fence!!!

Bob

Comment

• chuckt
                              • Jan 2007

Heh heh! Yeah - I hear ya. I too have plane irons and bench chisels and I am hoping to one day ($'s are limited) build up a fully capable woodworking shop (not just carving). So I am leaning towards the Work Sharp too. Gotta think more on it. <sigh> Why can't anything be simple? I'll be sitting on the fence forever at this rate.

ChuckT

Comment

Working...
                              X