Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worksharp sharpening system

BobD:

Based on what you have observed using the Work Sharp, would you put down "your personal" $200+ to purchase the system? Earlier you stated it worked great sharpening some of your gouges, and that it did a great job on your plan irons and bench chisels. You haven't used the Jool system but based on your use of the Work Sharp did it do what you expected?
    It is only your opinion but your opinion, if you have no dog in the fight, (and being someone that has used the system) is better then taking the word of the seller which needs me to spend my cash with them.

Muddler

Comment

Alright, I have convinced myself that the Worksharp is the system for me. Has anyone used the system and are there recommendations for extras topurchase with the system that are really good to have in addition to what comes in the box?

Comment

I'd definately get the leather wheel...and maybe an extra slotted wheel. As for the abrasives...I like the fact that they offer an assortment in the packs, but I think it is more cost effective to purchase the grits you like in bulk. I know Lee Valley sells the microabrasives in sheets (They are PSA) for the glass wheels.

I don't know any other place that carries the slotted abrasives, though...so an assortment of them would also be handy!

Bob

Comment

Bob D,
          From you previous comments about getting for review an updated version of the WoodSharp tool makes made me think about waiting for you input. You said it was made more for a woodcarver. Like Muddler I also want to purchase a sharpener ASAP but if a better updated product is on the way I'll wait. Is this still true?
          I had previously asked if would let the forum know your opinion of the updated version. Of course I did not expect a full report just a few words of encouragement to a few hundred(thousand?) of your forum friends. I just wanted you to know I wasn't expecting a full report steeling thunder from your future anaylsis/review to the magazine.

Comment

I haven't even gotten the new one yet (it's due out the end of this month...) so that will be in the holiday issue...as soon as I have a chance to try it out, I'll let you know!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
              Good idea Dave!!! It should be easy to do! Can I mention that suggestion in my review???

Bob

Sure....I sent that suggestion to Woodtek several years ago, they didn't even respond. Yes by all means, maybe some manufacturer will pickup on it....it is sorely needed in my opinion.
              "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

What is the difference in the WS3000 and theWS2000 other than the fact that I can buy the 2000 for only $100.00?

Comment

The only tool I've seen that has a reverse is the Port-a-Strop, but that is only available on their high-end version. Thanks Dave!

Bob

Comment

The 3000 is the low-speed version with all the bells and whistles--the adjustable angle jig for flat chisels. It is great for the general purpose shop, where you have plane irons, woodworking chisels, etc. that you want to put specific bevels on.

The 2000 has only one angle you can set at. It's also a high-speed tool. I haven't tried the 2000 yet, but my gut tells me it may be better for carvers; the high speed will make the slotted wheel action smoother.

Bob

Comment

BobD,
                      Usually higher sharpener speed equals faster heat on the blade. They must count on the slotted abrasive surface and cooling system, shown on the video, to overcome heat retention. I would be foolish to not think they haven't thought this out though.

Comment

That's what I thought too. But I want to try it to be sure. They also claim to have a heat-sink...but I'm not sure about that either.

I know the glass wheels heated up the tools a little bit (nothing to bother you; I still held the tools comfortably in my bare hand).

I think the main importance is to use the appropriate grit. If you have a lot of material to remove, use an rougher grit. If you move up through the grits, the tools don't get too hot.

Bob

Comment

Sounds like to me that the WS2000 is all I would need if I am only interested in sharpening carving tools. It is shown at $100.00 if pre ordered. Hmmmmm...

Comment

I have not tried it yet, Doug...so I really don't know what it's like! But if the quality is like the 3000, well...I was really impressed with the 3000!

Bob

Comment

BTW...the only thing I've found difficult to sharpen on it is my draw knife (I've got a bent-handled one)...the bevel just doesn't fit onto the rotating disc well...but it did a great job "lapping" the back (flat) side!!!

Bob

Comment

This thing looked good on paper until I bought one. Very disappointing. My Swiss carving tools turned blue because there is absolutely NO AIR FLOW as they claim. The abrasives tore up easily, and were poor in quality. The speed is very slow, hard to repair chips or change a bevel fast. The "so called" see through disc is very dark and shadey, and I had my eyes done, so I have good vision. You CANNOT polish while seeing what your doing either, only sandpaper. It is impossible to do a knife or ANY flat object, whether it's a router bit, a lawn mower blade because you CANNOT get your tool flush with the "so called" see through wheel. Since you reviewed it, you did not mention how hot the motor gets, even when you use it for a minute! Just touch the side of the machine, and you'll easily feel it. A very IMPORTANT PROBLEM is that both the Glass wheel, and the See-through wheel WOBBLE, China made. They DO NOT run true! Also there is no way to polish the inside of your v-tool, or gouges.

I saw an add for the JOOLTOOL in your mag, and purchased one as soon as I recieved my credit from Garret Wade. Boy talk about NIGHT and DAY! You can really see Super clear through their Ninja wheel. They use 3M industrial streghth abrasives too,that last very long, I'll post when they start to die down, so far I have sharpened all my tools (over 50)and they are still going strong! I love this thing. I could polish the outside of my gouges while seeing what I'm doing with the felt wheel and use the 3M brush thing to polish the inside (does not come in kit) My friend told me Tom Matuss likes it for knives, so I tried it and it was really easy. The girl on the phone told me a light touch and NOT to drag the tools edge off the Ninja wheel-made sense. It was easy and the tip did NOT catch in either direction, I know I couldn't believe it either! Best of all the Jtool has a forward tilt so you don't have to hover over it, like the other one.. She said it's because they sell it to factories for production, good motor. I also read this is the sysytem Flexcut uses in their factory. It was ONLY $79 more, for quality thats not bad, and its made in USA, don't see that much anymore. Wait theres more, ALL my tools stayed COOL the airlow from the wheel is tremendous, and it was at 5,000 RPM! Thats INNOVATION! Bob you need a Jooltool

Comment

Working...
                                X