Worksharp sharpening system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worksharp sharpening system

Well, I talked with a customer service rep at the Work Sharp place in Ashland, Oregon today about the differences in the WS3000 and the WS2000. My take is that the 2000 will do all I need for carving and lathe tools. One thing they assured me of is that the machine WILL be available within a week or 10 days and that the sale will be on for some time, giving me a chance to see what Bob has to say after testing it. Waiting on you, Bob.
    Doug

Comment

Hello Doug, your previous comments refered to $100? Is that the sale price and do you know what comes with it? Been looking at the Jool system and it's three times that.

Comment

That is the sale price but I can't tell you exactly what comes with it but they are sending me some brochures plus when Bob gets the test model we will know. When I get the brochures I'll post again. This thing looks to me like it will do the exact same job as the Jool Tool at about one third of the money. Stay tuned.

Comment

John,
          Sorry you feel that way! I was very impressed with the tool, and didn't notice the motor heat at all (even when I used mine for more than an hour).

I used it for sharpening everything from Hock-steel plane irons down to my dockyard mini gouges...with no problems.

That is the subjective nature of reviews, I suppose. I tried the Jool Tool and did like it as well, but for my uses (i sharpen more than just carving tools), it was a better fit. With my planes, specifically, I need to have exact bevels for different cuts (I've got a low-angle jack plane that I have three different irons that give me different cuts). I just couldn't sharpen that on the Jool Tool. The Worksharp is the only power tool I've ever trusted with my plane irons.

I also didn't have a problem with the wobble you mention...

Your post does make me question their quality control, though!

Bob

Comment

Unlike John I did have considerable trouble with sharpening knives on the Jool Tool. When reversing the direction of the knife into the turning direction of the disk I would catch the blade and cut the disk. Some knives were easier than other to sharpen but my favorite detail knife (from David Sabol) has a very thin flexible blade and it simply won't sharpen (at least for me) on the Jool Tool.

And thin knife points will get hot when using the Jool Tool.
            I do like it for gouges but can get good results in cheaper ways.

Jool tool works fine for gouges but don't like it for my carving knives because of catching the blade. I don't think the Jool Tool, as designed could be made to be reversible. The way the Ninja disks screw on they would screw off if the motor was reversed.

Comment

Well, I got the brochure foom Work Sharp and as I figured it didn't tell me much. Looks like I'll have to wait for Bob to get and review the WS 2000. Sure do wish I could try one out for myself somewhere.

Comment

Bob- Have you ever heard any more as to when you will be getting the WS 2000 to evaluate?

Comment

I've got the 2000...but haven't even had time to set it up yet...sorry! It's deadline time here for the next issue...and I'm swamped!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
                    I've got the 2000...but haven't even had time to set it up yet...sorry! It's deadline time here for the next issue...and I'm swamped!

Bob
                    Bob has this review been run. I have not seen anything on it. What do you think of it for carving tools?

Herb

Comment

Herb, I went ahead and bought the WS 2000 and I love it. Price was reasonable and it honed all my carving chisels in a very short time. Did a VERY good job with nothing left to do but strop and they were razor sharp. I like it.
                      Doug

Comment

Hey Doug -

What's your experience with using the WS2000 for knives? Just curious if you are having any of the challenges with this tool that were reported for the JoolTool with sharpening the other edge of a knife where it faces into the rotation of the tool. Or is that not an issue for WS since you can address the edge from the botton AND top?

Thanks!
                        ChuckT

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Ridley
                          Herb, I went ahead and bought the WS 2000 and I love it. Price was reasonable and it honed all my carving chisels in a very short time. Did a VERY good job with nothing left to do but strop and they were razor sharp. I like it.
                          Doug
                          Glad to hear that you like it Doug. What looks good to me about this and the Jool grinder is that you can sharpen your tools and not grind them up with a few sharpenings. The price is reasonable compared to the other options. Thanks for the answer.

Herb

Comment

Doug, did you buy any extras with the machine or just the basic machine. It looks like some extra plates would be nice to keep form changing the sandpaper when you want to change grits.

Herb

Comment

Chuck,

You would have to have the same grit on both sides of the disc. I just reach across to the other side where the disc is going in the other direction. How is the horizontal wet stone working? I don't like the high speed of the WS2000. I may try to get a motor controller to slow it down. You will also have trouble sharpening a #9 20mm using the underside. A 20 mm #2 to #7 is ok.

Chris
                              Originally posted by chuckt
                              Hey Doug -

What's your experience with using the WS2000 for knives? Just curious if you are having any of the challenges with this tool that were reported for the JoolTool with sharpening the other edge of a knife where it faces into the rotation of the tool. Or is that not an issue for WS since you can address the edge from the botton AND top?

Thanks!
                              ChuckT

Comment

I ordered the Worksharp ws3000 from Sears online. It was the best price available $189 with free shipping to my door. I also ordered the leather strop wheel but am not sure how well that will work since I think you have to do the left side of the knife blade on top and the right side underneather the wheel. I am thinking that the leather is only on top but will know soon. I wouldn't want the hassel of flipping the wheel over. I chose the WS3000 because of the slow speed (550rpm) compared to the WS2000 at 1750 rpm. I agree with Dave(Hi Ho) that the motors should be reversible and variable speed to be truly versatile.

I found lots of companies online that sell slotted wheels and slotted paper for the machine at extremely good prices even considering shipping.

By the way, I think the WS3000 is the one made for woodcarvers since that is the one specifically mentioned for woodcarving tools. I will let you know what I think once I have it in my hands - it is supposed to be here Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                                X