Might Be A Dumb Questions....but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might Be A Dumb Questions....but...

I have been attending a local club, and I have been carving smaller woodspirits and faces....a guy there has shown me how to carve the eye socket, he uses what I believe to be a #11 x 3/8, his tool has no brand name, and not sure where he got it from....I have been searching, and have a few questions:
    1. I have found the unhandled flexcut in a 11x3/8 size but it has the fingernail profile on it...will this accomplish the same task...before anyone says it"use what you have", I have a limited set of the 11pc flexcut, it would be an addition if it works, they do not have a 11 x 3/8, I have found a 11 x 3/8 in Henry Taylor though, it looks the same, but about double the price...any input is appreciated....tks to all in advance...Dennis

Re: Might Be A Dumb Questions....but...

Dennis, use what you have. I'm sorry couldn't resist. If you look on the Flexcut site, which I'm sure you've already done, You'll notice that the bottom on an 11 and a 11x are different. Also, the sides on an 11 come straight up, whereas the 11x have a curve in them. This curve is close to a #3 swept. So, it would make a different cut, but you may be able to work with it. Stubai has a 11x10mm @ $30, Flexcut @ $20. Hope this helps.

Comment

Dennis:
      I am a big believer in the #11 for the eye socket,I use the Henry Taylor & the Stubai.Every brand is going to be different,find ehat you like and make it work,I have used the Flex-cut #11 very nice tool.
      Mark N. Akers
      My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Hello and Welcome to the board! You have gotten some good advice here already, and I will add my two cents also. I use the Flexcut thumbnail gouges, I have the whole set and love them. I use them to cut in the eye sockets and for a lot more. for example seperating hair masses before I do the actual hair. Take a look at my gallery here (see link below) and also the picture below, you will see what I mean. I also use Henery Taylor tools also ( mainly for mallet carving) and love them also. Anyway good luck and keep carving!
        GaryMc

Comment

Working...
        X