What carving knives for newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What carving knives for newbie

I need advice on wood carving knives. I have a knife shop that specializes in things like pocket knives, camping stuff, and kitchen knives. I have had several people asking about carving knives and I am just turn them away, But I would like to have something for them to at least look at so they don't feel it was a waste of time to come in. Only interested in brands with a good reputation. but also in a price range that a beginner would buy. Also prefer brands they would have heard of on youtube & etc.

I am looking forward to your advice!

Flexcut would be a good all around brand. They have a few "pocket" knives, fixed carving knives and gouges.

You could also just carry some congress, stockman and whittler pattern Case, Rough Rider etc. as they should work double duty for whittling and general pocket knife.

Comment

Not sure what your price range is but here are a few with excellent reputations for good quality knives: 1) Murphy knife...great beginner knife (my very first knife) for about $15...probably your best bet. 2) Flexcut knives...popular and good quality for $20 - $25. 3) OCC Tools...an excellent knife for under $20 and 4) Helvie Knives (my favorite - I have several) a superior knife with a sparkling reputation...beautiful handles in a multitude of handle designs...these sell for around $39. All of these knives can be purchased through Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers (http://www.woodcarvers.com/). The Helvie knives are couple bucks cheaper if you buy them direct from Helvie. I hope this helps!
      Keep On Carvin'
      Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Www.drakeknives.com
        OCC

Dave

Comment

It should be relatively easy to purchase murphy knives and flexcut knives wholesale. Not sure what businesses like Helvie, Drake, and OCC knives would do but there are lots of stores online that sell these knives so I assume you could also purchase them at a wholesale price. Out of all of these, the Murphy knives would be the most economical for your customers to purchase although they will need a bit of work to make carving sharp. Helvie, Drake, OCC, and Flexcut usually come carving sharp.
          Terry

Comment

If I walked in, what have you got in the way of sharpening and honing supplies?
            Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
              If I walked in, what have you got in the way of sharpening and honing supplies?
              That had crossed my mind also, we may not have the sharpening stuff for some carving tools. We sell DMT for free hand stuff. Edge Pro is a very good guided system for standard knife shapes. We also sell Work Sharp. Which is a small electric belt system. I always recommend against the regular work sharp, but we stock it. The Ken Onion version is much upgraded including variable speed and other improvements over the standard version and has some optional different attachments, I don't use it, but some people get pretty good with it.

Is there something you recommend here?

Just a footnote, I have not identify myself, store, city, or even state. I don't want to be suspected of asking questions as a ploy to self promote. I hate that as much as anyone.

Comment

I would say if they want something cheap but ok then flexcut but a good one would be Helvie. nothing worse than learning on poor quality or trying to learn how to sharpen at the same time.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by cckw View Post

That had crossed my mind also, we may not have the sharpening stuff for some carving tools. We sell DMT for free hand stuff. Edge Pro is a very good guided system for standard knife shapes. We also sell Work Sharp. Which is a small electric belt system. I always recommend against the regular work sharp, but we stock it. The Ken Onion version is much upgraded including variable speed and other improvements over the standard version and has some optional different attachments, I don't use it, but some people get pretty good with it.

Is there something you recommend here?

Just a footnote, I have not identify myself, store, city, or even state. I don't want to be suspected of asking questions as a ploy to self promote. I hate that as much as anyone.
                  I've been impressed by the looks of the Ken Onion worksharp. Do you know what the slowest speed is?
                  Terry

Comment

Has anyone asked for anything?

Fine automotive finishing sandpapers (3M wet/dry 800, 1,000, 1500, 2000 grits) are an economical option for a fresh & flat abrasive surface.
                    Honing compounds of chromium oxide and/or aluminum oxides. Autosol and Flexcut have good reputations.
                    Brian T

Comment

Flexcut sends yearly catalogs for my club and it seems like it might be easy to enter into some type of arrangement with them. You might also talk with Helvie. Some of the current re-sellers might not want to help you too much as you may be in direct competition with them if you plan to sell online, but I'm only a buyer! Don't take my word for the business details of this!
                      'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
                      http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

It sounds like your store has enough to get a person started sharpening with the DMT if they are fine enough. I hear no mention of a strop, which is almost a necessity to be carving sharp. And some compound for it. For a beginner Flexcut has a wide variety of tools for them to chose from, and they are carving sharp. They can later get into the higher end tool maker products. Shapes of handles vary with almost every knife maker.
                        A knife is the main tool to start with, but from there forward, you could fill your store with all of the tool choices out there.
                        You may refer them to youtube for carving, and sharpening videos to help them speed up their learning curve.

good luck, Tom
                        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

As far a knife sharpener goes---Tom Ellis makes a fine slow machine-the TomZ.
                          . . .JoeB
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post

I've been impressed by the looks of the Ken Onion worksharp. Do you know what the slowest speed is?
                            It is the screw adjustment on the trigger. it gets pretty slow. I don't know what speed in fps, but slow enough to be safe. I always advise customers to hit garage sales and buy junk kitchen knives to learn on. Another minor note, you have to have replacement belts. It is a small belt so not a long life per belt.

I'll volunteer this on a somewhat unrelated machine: a lot of people sharpen stuff on a 1x30 belt sander from Harbor freight. I do not like that one. it is fast and the belt is unstable. meaning it isn't tensioned right and flops when running. The wheels are rounded in the side to side view, so the tension is only in the middle of the belt. So an unstable load when you contact the belt with a blade. (I hope that all made sense)

I'll go look at Toms machine

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                              As far a knife sharpener goes---Tom Ellis makes a fine slow machine-the TomZ.
                              . . .JoeB
                              I watched Toms video. Very clever system! One tiny thing I would suggest to Tom and anyone using his machine to try and see if you like.. After stropping both sides a little bit try removing the rest of the wire edge or burr by dragging the knife on a paper towel folded to at least 2 layers, drag backwards and also a little slide. Drag over fresh paper towel each pass I won't go into a long explanation, you can try it and see if you like it or not.
                              Last edited by cckw; 08-16-2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X