Smaller handled knives...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller handled knives...

I'm looking for a smaller handled knife. I currently use a Helvie detail with a knuckle grip, but would like to try others, too. I'm getting ready to sell a Lyons and a Tom Ellis that are just too large for me to hold comfortably (and even a third Helvie that's a touch too large). I would like to try to get a list of suggestions started since the Artistry In Wood show is this weekend and I will get to test out a bunch "in the hand". Is there a maker known for smaller handles? Other thoughts and ideas for me to check out?

I would really like to see an Allen Goodman, but it sounds almost impossible as it seems he's MIA.

Some of the best knifes I have ....are the ones that are made for me. And I have made a few of my own. Which have cape forge blades,.... all you got to do is epoxy into the hand piece.... I do have some small handles but not sure at this time who made them.....other then people where complaining they were to small for them. I will look into a later. I have two hurricanes headed straight for the islands and they are big bad ones..... so I am prepping while rest between time on the net. So bear with me....smile.

Comment

Hi Michelle
      I have a mini detail knife from, Ozark Country Carving with a small handle, it is my favorite detail knifeone of the carvers in our club has some knives from Deep Woods Ventures, they seem to have a nice handle as well
      Bruce

Comment

There is a way to measure the tool handle size against your hand to get some sense of comfort or not.

In a fist grip, palm up, the tips of your second and third fingers should just touch the fat ball part of your thumb.
        An observation made by Kestrel Tool and borne out as I hafted a dozen crooked knives in Pacific Northwest native style.
        Despite a little creeping arthritis, I can still carve most of a day with a knife handle which began as a 7/8" x 7/8" blank.
        Anything more than 1" is far too bulky to be comfortable as is anything less than 3/4".
        Brian T

Comment

I'd recommend buying blades and making your own handles. I've done that for most of my knives. The advantage is you can not only make the size to fit your hand, but also adjust the shape to suit your style and the feel you prefer. It's a lot cheaper, too. Best of both worlds!
          Arthur

Comment

If the handles of the knives you have are wood, you could always just carve the handle down until it suits your hand.

Comment

Thanks all. I'm not sure I have the tools/desire to make my own at this point, but I definitely see the benefits. And, I'll think about making my wooden handles smaller, but again....not sure I have the skill. Besides, the blade on the Lyons is larger than I like as well. I'll check out my options this weekend and report back! Thanks again.

Comment

Perhaps you should consider varying the way you hold your knife. I rarely use a knife with a "fist-type" grip. Often I'm using three fingers in a "light" touch. Most of my knife work involves "paring" cuts - blade toward my thumb - because you have more fine control of your hand muscles (as compared to arm muscles).

Comment

Michelle, I looked around and these are some of the knives I have that you might be interested in. From left to right, the first knife is a Helvie for comparison. Then next two knives are Hock knives. They are really nice knives. The next knife is a Ferguson. It has a much more slender handle compared to the Helvie. Next is a Murphy, then a Two Cherries and last is a Butz knife. One solution is just to take a belt sander to a knife and make it smaller to suit your tastes.

knife_handles1b.jpg
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post
                    Michelle, I looked around and these are some of the knives I have that you might be interested in. From left to right, the first knife is a Helvie for comparison. Then next two knives are Hock knives. They are really nice knives. The next knife is a Ferguson. It has a much more slender handle compared to the Helvie. Next is a Murphy, then a Two Cherries and last is a Butz knife. One solution is just to take a belt sander to a knife and make it smaller to suit your tastes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1089187[/ATTACH]
                    SWEET!
                    Thank you for the pictures.

Claude has a nice collection of knives
                    I'm keenly interested in this thread also.

Comment

Terry, thanks for the picture. I will write those down and see if any of the vendors have them this weekend!

Di, I really hope you don't gat those hurricanes. Please let us know how it's going.

Comment

Michelle, Helvie will custom make just about any shape or size handle you want if you ask them...they've done several for me. Talk to Holli Smithson at Helvie Knives and discuss with her what you are looking for. She is extremely helpful and pleasant to work with.
                        Keep On Carvin'
                        Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I may do that if I don't find THE one this weekend. Helvie had a booth last year but weren't really sling knives as they wanted to leave that to their vendors. Even if they don't have a booth again this year, they will probably be there.

Comment

Here's my collection of knives (not pictured are the other three in the Helvie miniature line). The three at the top are the ones that are just too large (either handle or blade) for my liking:

IMG_5084.JPG

Comment

Helvie has a wide variety of handles, large and small, and will indeed customize one for you. And you can also reshape the ones you have with either a belt sander or use a drum sander in a Dremel tool. Just tape some card board around the blade to protect it and your fingers. I have always bought my knives directly from Allen. He is usually either teaching or sharpening at the Renegade Woodcarvers Rendezvous in Lebanon, TN. And I also believe he teachs at the John C. Campbell school and at some shows?
                              'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
                              http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X