No announcement yet.

Opinion Wanted on Sharpening Stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I ended up ordering the Lansky diamond stones that fiddlesticks pointed out and also ordered some sandpaper to finish them off on. So hopefully I get the best of both worlds. Looking forward to getting started.

Comment

Good. Every method takes some learning. Some tools fight back and resist sharpening for a day or two.
      Figue out a way to keep the bevel angles constant and consistent from now on.
      Don't forget to paint the edges with black felt marker so you can see what you're doing.

In soft wood like cedar, every edge has to be really good. Honing on some sort of a strop with chrome green
      as the final step is the world of difference for my carving.

It's only a piece of steel. Have fun.
      Brian T

Comment

I'm wondering, does the Lansky diamond stones just work on blades, not gouges and V.
        . . .JoeB

Comment

cwazzy - That looked like a really good deal to me. I probably would have went that way too. If you are new to diamond, just remember to not use a lot of pressure. Diamond is so much harder than any other abrasive you don't need pressure. Don't believe me, just drag the edge over it with only the weight of the knife or whatever and then do the same thing on your other stones. Also lots of pressure can cause the diamond to come loose from the bench stone.

New diamond bench stones cut rougher initially and break in after a few uses. If you have some dull kitchen knifes or chisels, now would be a good time to work them on the diamond stones to get over that break in period. Once broken in, they stay at that new level a long long time, years to decades.

Let us know how that vendor is. I've never ordered from them, but they pop up a lot when I look for sharpening things and a huge selection of stuff.

Joepaulbutler - The stones are flat, but you can sharpen gouges and v's on them, just not the inside of the gouges or v's. For that I'd use a slip stone, or sandpaper around a dowel or v shaped wood, or even something hard and thin and do one side of the inside of the v at a time.

Comment

Working...
          X