Shopping in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping in Canada

You Americans might want to think about it, our dollar has just gone below $0.75 USD.

Even a winter holiday for skiing or sledding. Or visit Tuktoyaktuk for New Year's Eve and freeze your buns off.
    Brian T

You're right RV...........now would be the time for them to place orders with people like Chipping away , Lee Valley , Razor tip etc.......THE PRICE IS RIGHT !
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

I suppose that Rick Weibe's Wood 'n Wildcraft is up and running. I think he moved over the summer.
      RazrTip is built in a suburb of Saskatoon SK. Lee Valley? Just imagine the savings if you hit a free shipping window as well.

What I found really ironic about LV = I bought a bunch of Haida-style crooked knife blades from them.
      Those are made by Crescent Knife Works in Vancouver, BC (west coast, OK?) Then they get shipped 3,000
      miles back East to Canada's capital of Ottawa. Then they wrapped my order and sent them 3,000 miles back west to me.
      Brian T

Comment

I'm likin' whut yer sellin". I often do Christmas shopping at Lee Valley. I'm gonna do a little early Christmas shopping!
        Terry

Comment

The vise I want from Lee Valley hasn't changed price.

Comment

The buy/sell thing for dollars won't be $0.75 unless you're selling CDN. Buying CDN might get you $0.20, which is still one dollar in five! I don't know the split today.
            I usually deal with the Lee Valley store on SW Marine Drive in Vancouver. Sometimes even better for my D2 or SIL to shop in person for the old man.
            Brian T

Comment

Thanks. So how does it help us to do shopping now as Nomad mentioned?

Also just noticed that the vise has gone up $10 since May when I put it on my Amazon list.
              Last edited by Michelle; 10-21-2016, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
                Thanks. So how does it help us to do shopping now as Nomad mentioned?

Also just noticed that the vise has gone up $10 since May when I put it on my Amazon list.
                If you are paying in U.S. dollars and the price is in Canadian dollars then you get $1.25 for every one of your dollars spent
                If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Okay, I guess I am just confused by the LV site(s). It says $139 USD and $159 CAD. That doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
                    Okay, I guess I am just confused by the LV site(s). It says $139 USD and $159 CAD. That doesn't make sense to me.
                    CADs are worth less than USDs, so it takes more CADs to buy the same item than it does using USDs. Think of it this way: A quarter is worth more than a nickle, so it takes more nickles than quarters to buy something. Using that same equation, substitute USD for the quarter, and CAD for the nickle.
                    Arthur

Comment

Michelle, I think that it makes the price look like $139 for Americans and $159 for me, with the exchange rates.

The thing is, you need to get at this. Canadian wood carving tool suppliers will run out of inventory, sooner rather than later.

Then they buy new stock, our dollar is in the toilet and your purchasing advantage disappears like a bag of smoke.
                      Brian T

Comment

Perhaps it's the way it's figured I'm not grasping. At the current rate, $139 USD = $172.01 CAD and going the other direction, $159 CAD = $119.24 USD. So basically, it seems they are just charging the US more for the same item, regardless of the exchange rate.
                        Last edited by Michelle; 10-21-2016, 10:06 PM.

Comment

You see the price as $159 CDN x 0.75 = $119.25 USD. So you're spending $120 for what my dollars cost me as $160.

Brian T

Comment

When I look at the US item page the price says $139 USD. When I look at the Canadian page it shows $159. Those two figures don't make sense unless they are just charging Americans more for the item. If I pay them $139 US, they get $172 CDN.

I'm sorry I seem dense about this...it just isn't clicking for me. Thanks for trying to explain it. I appreciate it.

Comment

My head hurts
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                              X