Clear All

• JJF
    replied
    Beautiful work Mike

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
    Thanks for sharing you "leather look" method. May I share this info on some duck callmaking forums?
    sure, not a problem!

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    I bet one could grind and sharpen the front edge of that blade to use as a skew...has anyone tried this?

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied
    That is some beautiful work!!

Leave a comment:

• GregGerard
    replied
    Very Nice work. By adding the skull it makes it more manly amongst the flowers.

Leave a comment:

• cb1959
    replied
    Old Reliable strikes again, with a makeover.
    I think a lot of use use the old buddy. Thin blade and easily stropped sharp again.
    Thanks for the post.
    Charlie

Leave a comment:

• dogcatcher
    replied
    Thanks for sharing you "leather look" method. May I share this info on some duck callmaking forums?

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Originally posted by Tinwood View Post
    That's a thing of beauty Mike. Really nice work on the pattern and finish too. I'm guessing that the blade is in there permanently and you give it a quick buff to bring it back up to snuff when it gets dull. I was thinking of getting a utility knife to try after watching Lynn do his thing but now I just might try making one instead but I'd make a two piecer with a small nut epoxied into one side so I could use a small screw to hold the two halves together. Thanks for the inspiration. Just another example of your ability. Nice.

Tinwood
    Yeah, I was mainly interested in producing a bunch of knives very cheaply, so this one was just glued in place. When it can't be stropped up, I guess it will just be more of a decorative piece then. But I think it would be fairly easy to make one that would let you change blades. Probably out of something harder than pine, with maybe some copper or brass where the sharp edge of the blade rests. Brass tubing or nails might be used in the notches of the blade to hold it in place. And I have considered the nut and bolt, or a threaded insert, or maybe magnets to hold the two sides together! Maybe one of these days!

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob K. View Post
    Beautiful work, Mike! This might be a dumb question but did you do that with the leather working tools or wood carving tools?
    This was carved mainly with a knife and gouge. I did use a diamond burr on the stitching, because the pine had a tendency to splinter. And I used a paper cone sander to smooth out some of the gouge work. I have used leather stamps before and they do work pretty good on wood, but I used the wood burner for the background and outlines.

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    That's a thing of beauty Mike. Really nice work on the pattern and finish too. I'm guessing that the blade is in there permanently and you give it a quick buff to bring it back up to snuff when it gets dull. I was thinking of getting a utility knife to try after watching Lynn do his thing but now I just might try making one instead but I'd make a two piecer with a small nut epoxied into one side so I could use a small screw to hold the two halves together. Thanks for the inspiration. Just another example of your ability. Nice.

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• honketyhank
    replied
    That may have been a cheap knife at one time. Not now. I'd be proud to have it in my lineup.

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    WOW, your utility knife handle is just gorgeous...your leather tooling skills really makes an artistic look to the handle. Wondering can you use a glue release on the blade when dulled? I'd want to be able to use my handle of the utility knife over and over any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Magicman
    replied
    Hi Mike
    That is some beautiful carving. Did you use a high speed carver for it?
    Larry

Leave a comment:

• rjrsky
    replied
    Beautiful work. Neat idea. How do you hone and/or sharpen? Or, do you?

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Beautiful work, Mike! Great idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X