Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Knife For Father's Day! Thank You Helvie For Your Great Custom Service!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Knife For Father's Day! Thank You Helvie For Your Great Custom Service!

A couple of weeks ago I happened across a YouTube video where Helvie Knives was selling some custom made knives that they had made for a special live stream sale. I missed the live broadcast but got the message that they accept special orders so I emailed Holli at Helvie and asked if she could conger me up a medium detail knife about 1-1/2" x 3/8" (.035) with one of their Gerald Sears handles. She came back with a "no problem" and even gave me my choice of wood. Today it arrived and I've got to say, I'm mighty pleased with it. I spent a year trying to get a replacement for the Goodman knife that I'd busted the tip off of with no success. A couple of you guys had suggested going to Helvie early on but I didn't see anything in stock that tickled my fancy. I sure wished that I'd realized soon that they do such great custom work. A great big KUDOS to the Helvie Company!

Looks like it will cut, good looking knife
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Great looking knife Eddy! You will be very pleased with it. Helvie knives are super knives! Rich Smithson does outstanding custom work and Holli can set him up to make just about any custom knife you want! She's a "sweetheart" to work with! Here is just one they custom made for me!
      Last edited by Bob K.; 06-06-2017, 05:39 AM.
      Keep On Carvin'
      Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Congrats Eddy! Too bad about Allen's knives. I treasure mine and have duplicates of all but a couple. His knives are unique but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Helvie knives.
        Terry

Comment

I have a couple of Helvie knives and were happy with them - still am. I did just get a new knife :https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004URTI4I and this long blade is very sharp. I looked at it on my Tormek and this very very sharp knife is running 9 degrees! It is a three steel slice blade that is double ground making it strong and very sharp. It stays sharp and works well. I posted a group of vendor pages on amazon in case you see one locally. "Morakniv Wood Carving 122 Knife with Laminated Steel Blade (2.4-Inch)". It is a good addition to my Helvie knives. If you sharpen your blades try for the 9 degree angle. I grind my wife's kitchen knives at 9 degrees and they slice kitchen stuff up nicely. We keep them in a cork knife tray so the blades don't cut each other.

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
            I have a couple of Helvie knives and were happy with them - still am. I did just get a new knife :https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004URTI4I and this long blade is very sharp. I looked at it on my Tormek and this very very sharp knife is running 9 degrees! It is a three steel slice blade that is double ground making it strong and very sharp. It stays sharp and works well. I posted a group of vendor pages on amazon in case you see one locally. "Morakniv Wood Carving 122 Knife with Laminated Steel Blade (2.4-Inch)". It is a good addition to my Helvie knives. If you sharpen your blades try for the 9 degree angle. I grind my wife's kitchen knives at 9 degrees and they slice kitchen stuff up nicely. We keep them in a cork knife tray so the blades don't cut each other.
            The Mora like the Opinel that I owned would have served me just fine back when I was able to get up to my property in Tennessee and gather Tulip Tree saplings to make walking sticks. A long stout blade comes in handy. However, I don't carve. excuse me, whittle anything much anymore where I need a blade of that length and if I do I still have a 3" Denney that if I don't start using pretty soon for wood, I may just give to the wife for a paring knife. I already gave my Opinel to my grandson for his fishing box.

Comment

Hey Eddie, did your new knife come with a 'box of Band Aides?
              Have some great and safe 'carving day'.
              Oscar

Comment

I've noticed the long blade is handy. When the knife is held in different positions and the wood moves about - cutting on a different part of the blade. The long is a bit long some times! But the 9 degree grind angle is top notch.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

The Mora like the Opinel that I owned would have served me just fine back when I was able to get up to my property in Tennessee and gather Tulip Tree saplings to make walking sticks. A long stout blade comes in handy. However, I don't carve. excuse me, whittle anything much anymore where I need a blade of that length and if I do I still have a 3" Denney that if I don't start using pretty soon for wood, I may just give to the wife for a paring knife. I already gave my Opinel to my grandson for his fishing box.
                  Hahaha! Carve on!

I gave a colleague of mine an Opinel about 10 years ago and every time I see him (he retired so I don't see him often) he mentions that Opie. He's still loving it mostly for food prep. He goes to Europe about twice per year and I think the Opi helps him blend in.
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post

Hahaha! Carve on!

I gave a colleague of mine an Opinel about 10 years ago and every time I see him (he retired so I don't see him often) he mentions that Opie. He's still loving it mostly for food prep. He goes to Europe about twice per year and I think the Opi helps him blend in.
                    Nomad.... Ironically, that's what I originally purchased my Opinel for. In fact, I had two of them. Back in the early 80's we needed a second means of transportation in our family. The wife needed a vehicle to go shopping and pick up the kids from school and I needed transportation to get back and forth from work. At first I looked at motorcycles but about the same time a good friend of mine was T-boned not far from where we worked at an intersection on his way home. It messed him up bad so I gave up on motorcycles and bought myself a Raleigh 10-speed bicycle to go back and forth to work in. After awhile I began to take week long camping bicycle trips (organized by various associations) around Florida. That's when I bought my Opinels. I think I bought my first one at R.E.I. They definitely got their fair share of use.

Comment

Working...
                    X