X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick Wiebe View Post
    The barlow is nice.

Comment

Yup Barlow is nice. Rick, I'm amazed you straightened the large blade out and were able to keep the nail nick. Nail nick was the largest single obstacle in me getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bif View Post
        Yup Barlow is nice. Rick, I'm amazed you straightened the large blade out and were able to keep the nail nick. Nail nick was the largest single obstacle in me getting started.
        Oh. That is the hardest part in my humble opinion.

Comment

The two blade Oar carver is a Queen canoe that has been cut down. The nail nick is pretty easy. All you need to do is use a cutting disk, mount it on a dremel, and touch the blade with the wheel, going straight down until it is deep enough to work. Practice on some cheap steel until you feel comfortable with it.
          Last edited by Nomad; 12-06-2017, 05:25 PM.
          Terry

Comment

The Rough Rider Barlows are particularly easy to modify. All you need is a file and a sharpening stone.

I occasionally teach a course at Lee Valley Tools in Kelowna BC, where we modify an Opinel #8 into a great folding and locking whittlin' iron. Just files and stones, and a dremel like tool if students want to grind a nail nick or make a neat easy opening notch.

Comment

You could modify a canoe. Would be similar to oar which is a canoe modified queen steel. I did this case one that I like a lot.

Comment

better pic is here
                Is anybody making good quality pocket knives these days? It looks like all the old reliable names are now made in China with SS blades, flimsy mechanisms, plastic scales, etc. I hate to think that if I want a good pocket knife, I have to look in the "vintage collectors' knives" section of eBay.

Comment

rjrsky: actually, I am pretty impressed with some of the newer Chinese Schrades. Especially considering the price. The SS blades are definitely harder to hone by hand than forged carbon steel, but they seem to hold the edge a lot longer. Overall, they are not exactly the same as the older US-made versions, but they are a quite good value. I also have MIC Rough Rider and Boker Plus -- similarly 'pretty darn good for the money'.

I have an older Chinese Schrade that is a piece of junk, much as you describe. The newer ones are much better.

Comment

Rjrsky, The screwdriver is the blade that you modify.

Tom
                    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I think Bear and Sons are made in USA, look pretty good though I've never held one in my hand. AG Russel is made in USA, and I think Queen Cutlery maker of the Oar is made in PA.

We've lost a few, one of the most tragic IMO is Camillus Cutlery- loved their knives, have a barlow I use regularly you couldn't get me to trade for less than the life of a loved one, or early retirement.....
                      Last edited by Buffalo Bif; 12-08-2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I have to say I never thought of modifying a knife with a file- assumed I'd have to go at it with a grinder and worry about stressing out pivots, overheating, etc. I'm gonna pull my files out and have a go at one of the cheapies I bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bif View Post
                          I think Bear and Sons are made in USA, look pretty good though I've never held one in my hand. AG Russel is made in USA, and I think Queen Cutlery maker of the Oar is made in PA.

We've lost a few, one of the most tragic IMO is Camillus Cutlery- loved their knives, have a barlow I use regularly you couldn't get me to trade for less than the life of a loved one, or early retirement.....
                          A LOT of AG's knives are imported.

These are some of the last carbon-bladed knives Camillus made in the US before going out of business. After and before shots. I had the scales replaced.
                          Terry

Comment

This is my favorite pocket knife to modify for woodcarving. I like it because of the size and shape of the handle. It's a Great Eastern Scout.
                            Terry

Comment

I have a GEC knife too - the 38 special whittler which is a great knife BUT kind of expensive, and in my experience either the Rough Riders or the Chinese Schrades keep their edge better, which is disappointing, but demonstrably true.

The Chinese made stainless knives (at least the ones branded Rough Rider, Schrade, Imperial Schrade, Marbles and some others) are pretty awesome. Never mind the price, they are good. Factor in the price and they are unbelievable!

I know, country of origin is an issue for some (who often comment negatively using computers made offshore too), and so is the whole carbon/stainless thing.

I wish we could get over that. When Camillus was still producing knives, I got, modified, used and sold a lot of them, in both stainless and carbon. Having sharpened and used literally hundreds, I am convinced that modern cutlery stainless is superior to carbon. Towards the end of Camillus, I got some of their knives with a mixture of carbon and stainless blades on the same knife, which made it really easy to do comparisons.

I find that the 440 A stainless is just as easy to sharpen, takes just as good an edge and will keep it better than the 1095 Carbon blades that I have used including knives from Case, Boker, Kissing Crane, GEC, Western, Schrade, Remington, I*XL, and more.

I think this idea that Carbon steel is better than stainless for knives has been passed around for so long that people believe that it is true. Try it for yourself and find out.

Comment

I agree about the carbon versus stainless and even made a video to illustrate the point. But the main reason I like the GEC scout,is the handle, not the steel. But the steel is plenty fine for me and keeps up with most of my carving knives. The best knife I have for carving that holds the best edge has blades of 154CM and is the Bose Case Norfolk Whittler. As for Rough Riders, I got a couple drawers full of them and they are an incredible bargain. Rarely a lemon in the bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8UaTgvYfys
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X