Rotary tool ok for carving?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
    While on safety issues, do NOT wear cotton gloves, Also pick up a cheap leather welders apron from Harbor Freight, the bit will eat leather, while it will want to wrap woven material around the bit.
    Thank you! That is a very good tip.

Comment

Many thanks to everyone who has replied - it has given me much to consider. I will be doing small dine work to start so as not to waste too much wood and to get a handle on how to do it and then work up from there. I really appreciate the info given.

Comment

Boshy, don't worry about wasting wood unless you live in the Tundra.
        I, for one, have ruined dozens of carvings. Beyond all hope.
        I have a few over the years that I really like. Mighty few.

Comment

My carving apron (have another in the big shop) has 6 pockets and is thick side of leather. Lots of pockets for knives, tools, chips and dust. Have a vac cleaner near by with a hose. I do have to get leather gloves, I have them, but not in my carving area. I have a metal & wood shop. Two lathes, two band saws, surface grinders and CNC plasma table. Then the smaller stuff. I'm trying to sell off some of the metal to clear more room for wood. I'll keep my metal lathe and mill for some time more. They are handy in making tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
            Boshy, don't worry about wasting wood unless you live in the Tundra.
            I, for one, have ruined dozens of carvings. Beyond all hope.
            I have a few over the years that I really like. Mighty few.
            Planning to practice on driftwood and scrap pieces first. When I get my eye in I may even try something large for garden using the chainsaw.

Comment

Sounds
              like you have a good setup Lionslair.

Comment

Yes indeed. A bit much sometimes. I designed my own 3 phase system using my 220 single phase and running a rotary, then to contactors and instruments. The output is fed through contactors to six transformers. Three making a 3-phase high voltage stepup and the other 3 are boosting each phase a 12v higher. Frequency meter and voltage. That is for my two surface grinders that are used once a year. I was using them weekly but that work I'm getting out. This is a hobby of mine, I'm into Electronic design and big machine configuration. My designs were testing some of the Intel line and a number of other companies. Retired into shop building. I am handy with a chain saw as well. :-) Cutting up firewood on this 6 acres of oak and other wood. I have a few pine and many versions of oak. Have other tree types and other big weeds. I make tools for my lathe and a few for the mill. Dad and I bought the lathe in 52. It is a beauty.

Comment

While stealing ideas from the Australian woodworking site I came across this tutorial on Dremels/rotary tools. I thought it was interesting and some might enjoy the info.
                  http://jmbh.org/DremelTute.html#Introduction

Comment

Working...
                  X