Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest opinions of the Woodcarver Supply tools, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiddlesticks
    replied
    I spoke my piece about the vendor, but as to the tools.

Pretty much any European tool is worth the money. Good steel, well shaped, well made.

Chinese Master Carver - good steel, variation in shape, some well shaped, some not, fit and finish not up to the standard of the European tools, but for the price those things can be overlooked. I honestly feel any professional carver out their could make their living with the Master Carver tools, they are that good. Just not excited about the vendor. Here is a set probably made by the same smiths that pound out the ones for MasterCarver https://www.dictum.com/en/carving-sc...1_97_2_48_12__

Former Soviet States - They make some good tools as well. I have some from Stryi that I like. Stryi is a Ukrainian company. You can order directly from their site or from an Etsy site they have.

The service after the sale can be important. With most brands if you get a bum tool, you can send it back and get a replacement. I just refuse to deal with a company that puts road blocks in my way when trying to bet a replacement. They got $40 of mine. I spend 300 - 500 a year on carving tools. Guess what company is not getting any of that? Not a smart trade off for them, but they had their chance.

Leave a comment:

• rickm
    replied
    I recently bought some gouges from a guy Darius I think his name is he is on facebook and ten gouges cost me about 100 bucks. they come sharp and the steel seems to be fine, havent had any problem I have been trying to talk him into making me a knife but not yet. there is another guy on fb who sells to spoon carvers and he sells a knife a bent gouge and a hook knife for about 35, I got those and they are as good as anything out there. So, yeah pfeil has the name but there are other folks making tools that are reasonable and done well. I would have my druthers about chinese steel but those guys from lithuania and the ukraine are selling some pretty good stuff imo, check out facebook under spoon carvers.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Originally posted by DLarabee View Post

Hi Pallin,

Also, Woodcraft Stores all across the country make a point to support woodworkers and carving clubs and usually offer a 10% discount any time of the year, so that is a discount that can't often be argued.
    While it may be a Woodcraft Stores Company policy to support carving clubs, I believe that, how and what kind of support is left up to each store. One might discover that all stores are not equal.

Leave a comment:

• Sharon of the Dell
    replied
    Hi! II have 2 sets of these tools from woodcarvers supply.
    I was told not to buy them from many people because they are cheap Chinese made tools.
    I researched them and bought them anyway.
    Yes they were cheap in price and yes they are made in China. They are hand forged in a community that has been making these kind of tools for generations for wood carvers.
    I bought them about 6 or so years ago. I use them almost daily. They are wonderful. I carve very hard woods like holly, maple, osage orange, madrone, walnut, manzanita and other really hard woods. I have never been disappointed with them or frustrated as I was told I probably would be if I bought them.
    I have only stropped them on a piece of leather or cardboard. Sometimes with the yellow flexcut compound if they are more dull. These tools really hold an edge. i use them mainly like palm gouges, even though they are bigger. I always were a glove and try not to force them to take off to big of slivers. learned the hard way. I have used them a little bit with a neoprene mallet and they were good that way. I wouldn't use a real heavy hand if doing mallet work.
    These are beveled different than my two cherries, old English tool and buck brother tools i have.
    They are made for super hard woods. Like i said, just don't try to take to big of slivers off with them.
    Like I said I have 2 sets and have bought a few extra. I have 30 + individual tools of them all together. I use them all depending on what I am doing.Some are used more then others.

If i had to leave my home in a hurry, I would throw them in a back pack, a long with a couple of pocket knives in my pocket and go. If i lost them or they were destroyed, I would buy them again.
    I love these tools!
    Last edited by Sharon of the Dell; 03-29-2018, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf Coast Handyman
    replied
    Not to sure on the quality? I was not at all impressed by their customer service!!

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    The ones I have are good and perform well. They are not cheaply made by a long shot. He's been in business for a good while. Been dealing with them before he moveditvall to Florida.

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    Originally posted by fiddlesticks View Post

It was very soft, it would roll in bass wood. Got my carving teacher's assessment of it. He said junk, send it back. Then the fun began. Emails and calls unreturned. By the time I actually got someone on the phone, it was out of their return period. I explained that I raised the issue early enough but failed to get a response. Then I got some line about someone being out and on and on. Long story short, they agreed not do do a **** thing for me and I agreed never to buy from them again.
    I also had issues with customer service on other products ....comparable .....and my response was the same as yours. That was a very long time ago....looks like nothing has changed. For me customer service and resolving my issues are number one .....so I stick with the companys who are willing to work with the customer.

Leave a comment:

• fiddlesticks
    replied
    I'm pretty sure Lamp are made by Kirchen who makes Two Cherries and Hirsch as a private label operation for WoodCarvers Supply. I think they are probably a good tool. That said I'd stick with Pfeil simply because then you don't have any issue of getting sweep numbers and sizes that are different, but in actuallity are a match.

I personally have bought twice from WoodCarver Supply. I own two fo the Chinese made master carver tools. The steel is great. The fit, finish and shapeing leaves something to be desired. Later, I tried buying a lamp brand tool - well sadly I succeeded. It was very soft, it would roll in bass wood. Got my carving teacher's assessment of it. He said junk, send it back. Then the fun began. Emails and calls unreturned. By the time I actually got someone on the phone, it was out of their return period. I explained that I raised the issue early enough but failed to get a response. Then I got some line about someone being out and on and on. Long story short, they agreed not do do a **** thing for me and I agreed never to buy from them again.

Leave a comment:

• DLarabee
    replied
    Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. The sentiments in this forum have matched other forums and reviews for these products.

The answer is... stick with Pfeil. I really struggled with the price, but realized that is one struggle that will go away once I spend the money, then recovered. Buying a lower quality tool would mean that I would constantly wonder if I was experiencing my carving correctly. If there were any inconsistencies in my work, I'd replay this struggle over and over again. I plan to be carving for another several decades, so that conversation-in-my-head-time would add up.

With my Guild discount (Woodcraft offers discounts to most clubs or groups) it softened the blow quite a bit.

Thank you all for being candid and helpful.

Leave a comment:

• DLarabee
    replied
    Originally posted by pallin View Post
    Note - Woodcraft has an exclusive agreement to sell Pfeil tools in the U.S. The so-called sales of 15% off makes the price exactly the same as online (from Woodcraft) so you only save the shipping cost.
    Hi Pallin,

While I truly respect your experience and input on all topics, I have to say that this particular statement is not completely factual, at least it does not match fact-checking for myself or anyone I've talked to. There are rumors that 'some' stores mark up their Pfeil items over the online price, but no one I've talked to or checked on myself has done so. When they have their '15% off' sale, it is 15% off in-store or online, so if that price is lower regularly, then you still get a discount. Nothing underhanded going on there.

Also, Woodcraft Stores all across the country make a point to support woodworkers and carving clubs and usually offer a 10% discount any time of the year, so that is a discount that can't often be argued.

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied
    If you have something that works to your satisfaction, why change to save a few dollars? I have Pfeil tools, many and wouldn't trade them for any other brand. I don't have Lamp Brand, why change from perfection?

Just my opinion.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Google "Lamp Brand wood carving tools" and see what you find. In the images, they look Asian by the calligraphy.
    One review ranks them just below Aurioux ( if you can find those) and similar to Pfeil (but different.)

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Pfeil history (from their brochure) " The production of PFEIL carving tools is based upon a long tradition of craftsmanship. The company was founded in 1902 in Langenthal (Switzerland), as a fabricator of cutting tools. Still a family-owned business, PFEIL is today managed by the third generation. Professional cutting tools and surgical instruments were primarily the first items which PFEIL manufactured. Production of the first carving tools began in 1942. Within a short time, the high quality of the tools created a great following not only among professional carvers, but also among amateurs and schools in many countries. With assistance from the Brienz Woodcarving School and professional woodcarvers throughout the world, we continue to develop and expand our assortment of Swiss quality tools."

I purchased my first Pfeil gouge - a #3-12mm - in 2001 at Huggler's Woodcarving Shop in Brienz.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Translated into english, 'pfeil' means 'arrow' That's the arrow logo that the company presses into the shank of each carving tool.
    For some reason, they need to emboss SWISS MADE into each handle. I have no idea where they get their steel.
    Stubai, Narex, Mora/Frost, Karrlson and Arioux are easy to find, like Ashley Iles and Henry Taylor.
    There are some magical bladesmiths scattered across Europe that we will never see.

Lamp is totally new to me. Some Asian foray into the marketplace? They have fabulous steel when they care to use it.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Where are the Pfeil's produced and where are the Lamps produced?..... Perhaps that might bring you closer to a resolution?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X