1/4 inch hex drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 inch hex drive

my son gave me a 1/4 inch impact driver and its battey operated anyway works well and no cord to mess with i have done some sanding with it but plan on doing more. I am using the simin hope sanders which have a hex end,and was going to order more but he wans 20 bucks shipping. so does anyone know of a a 1/4 inch hex end sanding like bowl sander out there.? I have seen stuff i can adapt and they sell a chcuk but just wondering. So far when I search I havent found much.

Sorry, not really sure what you are talking about, maybe a picture?
    . . .JoeB

Comment

ok ill try here is a normal drill for wood
      https://www.google.com/search?q=norm...ource=lnms&amp ;tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF6ILjlKnaAhUPiq wKHfB9CbcQ_AUICygC&biw=1924&bih=901#imgrc= GdXOs_CW_QDb8M:

this is a simon hope hex head sanding arbor

https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/tools-...ing-arbor?c=24

now these will fit in a normal drill however they also fit in the impact driver while a normal drill will not. ok, easy order the mandrels from simon hope well i have in the past and they are good mandrels and sanding pads however it is 20 pounds to ship them. As far as I can determine he is the only person making sanding mandrels with the hex head end. Im thinking there has to be somone else but so far I havent found them. There is a adapter for the impact driver that allows you to use a standard round drill or arbor but it would be nice to get the arbors for sanding that fit. If that makes sense. The impact driver isnt a great sanding thing but its portable which is a big plus I dont have to plug it in, so I can do some quick light sanding outside without hauling out extensions cords etc.
      I always had issues trying to post pictures on the old forum and not sure how to do it on this forum except i see a little camera in the corner whcich might have something to do with it.
      A
      Anyway to make a long story short i am looking for sanding arbors with a hex head not made in england, preferably made in usa without a 20 pounds shipping fee.

Comment

Rick, I am not sure, it looks like these might work. https://www.amazon.com/Release-Attac.../dp/B01MXPHILJ

Comment

Is this what you're looking for? These are 2 inch Skilton Sanding Mandrels from TURNINGWOOD.COM . Also....You can get the mandrels 1/4 inch hex online but then you have to find a sanding pad to put it in.....seems like all the hex tops come from the UK or AU.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Last edited by Dileon; 04-07-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

IMAGE-2.jpgFor anyone who wishes to know....this is a Hope sanding system. Used mostly by woodturners....but I am finding woodturners have awesome sanding system. I just saw one today that was just awesome. One that would make my sanding dreams come true ....it was a giant handmade flap sander from heaven. What an awesome sander to get from your son!

Comment

Ok found Lee Valley carries, I do order from them ........Tim Skilton 2" power sanding pad.
              Ours have a 1/4" quick release compatible hex shaft!
              Very durable, perfect size for bowls and vessels up to about 12"-14", uses hook and loop backed sandpaper
              If you can only afford one size, get this one
              Made in Australia

Last edited by Dileon; 04-07-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Follow this person's instructions, just use a long hex screwdriver bit as the shank. http://www.davidreedsmith.com/articl...ballsander.htm

Comment

dileon that looks like you got it, and dogcatcher i have tried making sanding balls and whatever and could never quite get them to work. most of the time they just fell apart.

Comment

I totally agree with you. An impact driver is a handy tool. I also recently bought thebest impact driver from an online shop. I have a construction company, and I was looking for new ways of improving my employee's work effectiveness. And truth be told, this can sound strange, but the impact driver really improved our work. So guys, in case you are skeptical about the impact drivers, I totally recommend you to buy one. Trust me, you won't regret the purchase. Hope you guys are having a good day.
                    Contact me off-line for the link.
                    Last edited by Claude; 05-06-2021, 09:15 PM. Reason: Removed non-woodcarving link.

Comment

Working...
                    X