No announcement yet.

Handicapped need good sharpening rig for gouges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't imagine the cost of a patent lawyer and the paperwork.
    Just a Trademark lawyer in this day and time must be $2 kilobucks or more.

Sometimes, you might find a top-rate machinist who has a little back-bench project, maybe just for beer & pizza money.
    I found 2 that were making a profit. One guy built massive carver's bench screws and the other one made camera tripod parts.
    The rest of the time, one guy repaired high pressure pumps in the Oil Patch.
    Quality workmanship all around with all clean cuts and no burrs anywhere.

Show the jig to a machinist. Get a paper agreement about costs and profits. Let them run with it.
    Brian T

Comment

Dogcather and Robson Valley thanks and I totally agree
      As I have said, it is not my goal to engage in the production of tools, but exclusively carving.
      I didn’t find the appropriate tool on the market and that's why I decided to do it myself.
      I made several pieces.
      Maybe somebody wants to exchange a couple of good chisels for my jig.
      I'm sure that someone else needs this jig and does not want to waste time like me.
      https://www.facebook.com/Talexandrija

Comment

Originally posted by rickm View Post
        well believe me Im not the definitive carver or sharpener but i Have never had a problem sharpending gouges, knives is a different matter. I simply use the bench grinder and i have a paper wheel and a hard cotton wheel and buff it out and keep a pretty decent edge. If i do get knicks in a gouge which I will when hammering into hard maple etc I use some 400 grit sandpaper and a mandrel and the drill to get the knick out and then put it on the grinder with the hard cotton wheel. It has always surprised me I can get a really good edge on a gouge while knives can drive me nuts. Maybe that isnt true for you but i have never even really bothered with angles, I just try and keep it shallow and buff it out every once in awhile and thye stay pretty sharp.
        We can open up a whole new discussion about what it means sharp.
        You can do the carving with the cheapest chisels and not so sharp, but for me its torture.
        With right and sharp tools, carving it's a real enjoy.
        I'm working hardwood and I'm breaking up large pieces of material at the beginning.
        My beveled surfaces must be flat to penetrate deeply into the wood.
        Did you see my sculptures?
        https://www.facebook.com/Talexandrija

Comment

Working...
        X