No announcement yet.

Early Father's Day Gift..... Ohayou Gozaimasu "Mikisy Oham Onohonpo Chokokuto"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Father's Day Gift..... Ohayou Gozaimasu "Mikisy Oham Onohonpo Chokokuto"

The "Father's day" gift that I bought myself arrived this morning. I've always wanted some Japanese tools but really can't afford to order them directly from Japan or order the most expensive from "Japan Woodworker." So as an alternative I ordered a set of "Power Grips" (Chokokuto) from Amazon. It's the 7-tool set and it comes in a nice cardboard and plastic case with re-use-able protective coverings on each blade. It's not like I really needed more tools but I figured that at my age, I deserve to spoil myself every once in a while. I'm really happy with the purchase. I like the feel of the handles and all of the tools came pre-sharpened enough to use right out of the box if I wanted to. However, I'll put them on the buffer before I give them any real tests. The only tool that has me mystified is the V-Tool. It's a true V but the wings point forward instead of being perpendicular to the plane or even slightly angled backwards as some of my Flex-cuts are. It will cut going with the groove but bites into the wood when attempting to cut across the grain. I'm going to try again after I put it on the buffer but that will have to wait until some evening after the sun goes down when my shed isn't 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Any comments on the V-Tool grind?

Hope my kids are reading this post . Nice score Eddy, I've never used a gouge with this shape of the handle, how does it work?
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Eddy - The V-tool in the 5- gouge set I bought recently in Kyoto was shaped as you described. I believe it is intended to make a slicing entry into the wood, similar to a skew with two edges.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
        Hope my kids are reading this post . Nice score Eddy, I've never used a gouge with this shape of the handle, how does it work?
        Joe..... I kind of like the shape of the handles. It feels like you have more control over the tool because you hold it like one would hold a knife, with your entire hand on the same plane.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
          Eddy - The V-tool in the 5- gouge set I bought recently in Kyoto was shaped as you described. I believe it is intended to make a slicing entry into the wood, similar to a skew with two edges.

Phil
          Phil....Thanks for the info. I'll have to get out to the shed and put it on the buffer but I won't try to change the original grind now that I know it was made that way. I had intended to get to it this morning but our humidity is almost as high as the air temperature. We've got passing showers but they only add to the moisture in the air. The streets and sidewalks are steaming and the windows are sweating. Just another great day in Florida.

Comment

That set looks familiar.
            http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...332,43334&ap=1
            It is a good little set.

Comment

Originally posted by Steev View Post
              That set looks familiar.
              http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...332,43334&ap=1
              It is a good little set.
              The set that I bought cost quite a bit less but is most likely made by the same manufacturer.

Comment

That’s a great set of tools Ed, enjoy!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf Coast Handyman View Post
                  That’s a great set of tools Ed, enjoy!

Dave
                  Thanks Dave.... I've been meaning to pick a set of these up for years. Just never got around to it. Figured I give myself an early birthday present.

Comment

What's the verdict on these tools after having them awhile?

Comment

The cutlery shop I visited in Kyoto, Japan had these carving tools available as "open stock," that is you could buy individual tools. I decided not to buy those because none were made in the fishtail shape I have come to prefer for relief and chip carving.

Comment

Originally posted by jjmg View Post
                        Assuming the Lee Valley ones are the same, they came sharp and hold their edges well. Good for one handed detail work but too small for two hands on a held down piece

Comment

Originally posted by jjmg View Post
                          I'll second Steev's post except I still can't get used to the V-tool.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                            The cutlery shop I visited in Kyoto, Japan had these carving tools available as "open stock," that is you could buy individual tools. I decided not to buy those because none were made in the fishtail shape I have come to prefer for relief and chip carving.
                            I spent over three years in Japan. Circumnavigated the main islands once and made port visits to a number of different cities. Unfortunately it was long before I even dreamed of carving so I never stopped at a wood shop or paid much attention to tools in the hardware stores. "We get too soon old and too late smart!"

Comment

Very good gift for your father. Even if they are not directly from Japan they could be even better and more qualitative. Hope your father will use them for a long time with no problem. For my father, it was a little harder. He loves to collect different things, from toy cars to small statues. So I decided to make him a gift (Link was deleted—not carving related). He was very surprised and amused and now that statue is his favorite from the collection.
                              Last edited by Donna_T; 03-11-2021, 07:22 AM. Reason: The link was not carving related and could be considered advertising for a commercial product that isn’t carving related—or spam.

Comment

Working...
                              X