knives again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knives again

i know personal prefrence, but i have had every knife just about out there and cant find a single one that is the go to blade. all the way from the stock carving knives, like helvie and cape forge to exotic steel and custom made. Im torn on the issue most knives last about a year or two and then toss it and so i dotn see the wisdom of going the custom 300 dollar market. i have posted this before but im still curious there has to be a good knife at a reasonable price that you can rely on right now im trying the helvie. I just got a morakniv which disappoints, and i have read that anything mass produced like a opinel or morakniv will be a chancey option also steel. I have had svt 90 and md and o1 and w1 etc all the super steels and then i read that garden variety 420 is still the best carving steel. confused you might say. I know there are knife makers here and collectors so I wish some of you guys would pipe up and help out. Do you have to go to a exotic steel for a carving knives? is 420/440 good enough? Is bearing steel, the super steels really worth it? I have paid 100 200 dollars for a knife and they end up being two thick and i have to cut half the steel of to carve. the knife i die for is the hans karlsson and he only makes them once a year or so. So next time they are for sale I will buy two. I am hungry for your thoughts so let me know. Right now Im going th throw out about six knives and ya know I made three knives from old files that are just as good as the knives im buying for 40-50- dollars. I dont need a fancy sheet or gorgeous hardwood handle I am interested in steel, edge retention, bevel of the blade, and balance. What makes some of these things so hard to sharpen is not the hardness of the steel its that original bevel they put in the factory and IM like the japanese philosophy i want it tapered all the way up no bevel. thought pls.

It is what you said, personal preference. I have a number of good knives myself. Spent time and a far amount of money learning which ones I did not like to use. For me it is about shape and size of the grip and the blades ability to hold a good cutting edge. Both of which will vary depending the wood I am working with. Blade shape is dictated by the job it is required to do. All most all good brands of carving knifes have a good steel. I like the harder Rockwell rated steels because I find the hold a better edge. But they do require more work to get a good working edge and the harder steels can be brittle when working with a thin cutter edge in hard woods. While I have a selection of great knives, over time I have become a fan of Helvie knives. They use good steel and I really like that they offer a nice verity of handle shapes and sizes for all their blades.
    Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Are you still satisfied with the kinds of carvings that you're doing now?
      Would a wholesale change in style and tools make any differences?

I'm buying both new ($30 - 50) and used ($5) farrier's hoof trimming knives and revising them for carving.
      Very happy with the results that I create for myself and for their usefulness in carving.

Comment

I think it boils down to several things. Obviously the quality of the knife and the profile of the blade matter. But the two big factors for me are what I am carving at the time and how I'm feeling physically. If it's a bad day weather wise, I may choose to use a tool that I think feels more comfortable in my hand and goes through the wood easier. And chances are, I will be carving pine which for me is usually easier than basswood. I have bought tools and like you have been disappointed in my purchase especially after paying more than I thought the tool was worth. But a few weeks may go by, and I'll pick up the tool on a whim, and it turns out to be a great tool. And I think, what changed? So, therein lies my explanation above. Hope it helps.

Bob L

Comment

Rick one question what are you doing to those knives that they only last a year or two? I have all my knives still.... just wondering....

Comment

I have yet to wear out a woodcarving knife so I'm at a loss here in understanding the issues. Even a pocket knife I carried and sharpened every day lasts for a decade or more.
            Terry

Comment

Working...
            X