Clear All

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Just the most sincere Thank You

Leave a comment:

• Tasmandevil
    replied
    Hello Joe,

I did not understand, what do you mean by "Jakob ~ Most kind of you sir"?

Best regards
    Jakob

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Getting ready for bed one night.
    I could see the semi-circular cut in my chest from a Haida-style crooked knife.
    Right through a good shirt, too. Didn't think that I'd hit myself THAT hard.
    I can hear the knife hit the hard canvas of my apron.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Merle, Ya, I've thought about that. A person gets complacent and forgets what they are doing. One of the reasons I made it so large, almost too large. It only takes once getting that bur tangle up in your clothing to make one heck of an impression on you.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Joe, The Leather Chest protector is Great but don't let the Burrs touch the other Material . Good job , your are a Man of many Talents. Merle

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Jakob~Most kind of you sir
    Brian~Any off the Kutall, Saburrtooth, or Typhoon burs will make short notice of human hide, just as soon to have it working on cowhide

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    No belly button. If he accidentally undoes that, his backside will fall off.
    Can't say enough for the belly/chest protector. Mine has saved a lot of nice shirts!

Leave a comment:

• Tasmandevil
    replied
    Hello Joe,

a great idea, what would humanity be without such inventors as you are? Humanity would still be sitting on the trees. You have an idea, and have realized it. That's how all the great inventions started.

Best regards
    Jakob

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Thanks Bob

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied
    Cool apron, should work well catching all those chips you make when carving. Well done and thought out.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Arthur~Maybe the "ROO" anyway I used it all afternoon, mostly power grinding, it caught a lot of the fine stuff produced, but the thing about it today was that the upper part kept my shirt clean.

Tom~That is why I need a bigger pouch, My belly button is sticking out too far now
    Last edited by joepaulbutler; 07-15-2018, 08:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gleber
    replied
    It needs a belly button.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Joe, now you can be the forum's official mascot, "Joe The Kangaroo!" Very innovative; bet it works well.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    started a topic Apron modifications

Apron modifications

In Sept '17 I wrote about an apron I made:
    "Well here's my apron. I started by taking an old Healey style long sleeve shirt. the first mistake should have used a crew neck shirt. Cut it off about five inches below the armpits. I wanted something that would protect my shirt from sawdust Or stains when painting. Just slip it on and tie it up.
    Made a double pocket for the sleeve, Got tired of pencil, pen, etc being in the way when carving. built my apron, with two pockets on the inside just below the waist, Maybe they wouldn't fill up with chips and sawdust.

"Then attached a 1/8"± thick belly flap. Only attached it about 1/2 the distance to the bottom on the side, to give it a little flexibility."

It has work fine but needed some tweaking. The main reason for building it in the first place was for power carving, but I decided to make a pouch for it.
    I had the curved plastic rod from a previous apron I had purchased, So I just hemmed the bottom to take the rod, added about 10" of velcro on the sides to close the sides of the pouch, punched a couple of hole in the bottom of the leather belly strap to stick the rods in & walla. Now my clothing is somewhat protected when power carving and I can catch most of those pesky chip.

FYI
Working...
X