Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clarification

    I've been carving for a while now and am starting to slowly accumulate some good knives and gouges. Now, curiosity has driven me to learn about new tool that I may have to add to the collection. Most tools wins right? Anyway, I've just learned of a gouge type that I've never heard of before and maybe someone can enlighten me as to just what it is. The gouge is called a "soft vee". What the heck is this? (A picture would be nice too.)

    Tinwood

  • #2
    Hi Tinwood
    I took this explanation from the treeline website.

    Flexcut's Soft V-Tool is similar to a standard V-Tool, but the point of the V is slightly rounded, allowing it to double as a small gouge. It can also be used as a parting tool for creating lines and textures, and it can be rolled onto its side and used as a straight chisel for flattening.
    Hope this helps
    Larry

    Comment


    • #3
      Among Pfeil (Swiss Made) carving tools these are called Staehli gouges. They come in three widths: 3mm, 6mm, and 20mm.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Tinwood, I think you just learned all you need to know about that Tool so go ahead and get it . you know you need it . Ha,Ha. Merle

        Comment


        • #5
          You probably ought to get the complete set from Pfeil. Sure as shootin', as soon as you start using a soft vee, you'll run into a situation where you need a softer one.

          Comment


          • #6
            I thought all V-tools were like that right at the tip.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by honketyhank View Post
              You probably ought to get the complete set from Pfeil. Sure as shootin', as soon as you start using a soft vee, you'll run into a situation where you need a softer one.
              The "softer" one would likely be a #11 - a U-gouge - a little tighter curve at the apex with curved sides, but not a segment of a circle like all the #2 thru #9 gouges.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tinwood View Post
                I've been carving for a while now and am starting to slowly accumulate some good knives and gouges. Now, curiosity has driven me to learn about new tool that I may have to add to the collection. Most tools wins right? Anyway, I've just learned of a gouge type that I've never heard of before and maybe someone can enlighten me as to just what it is. The gouge is called a "soft vee". What the heck is this? (A picture would be nice too.)

                Tinwood
                here's a picture: http://stadtlandercarvings.com/V-Too...le_p_8166.html
                http://www.tristatecarvers.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here is one by Drake. It is a little over 1/2' wide at the top of the wings and the wings are approximately 90 degrees. I use it a lot!
                  'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

                  http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
                  http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Dang you Tinwood
                    . . .JoeB

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The V-gouge with the curved apex and straight sides is a #14 in the Pfeil lineup, but the angle is 55 degrees. It comes in six sizes.
                      Last edited by pallin; 08-08-2018, 04:37 PM. Reason: typo

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Here are three soft v tools. The OCCT "Ortel", OCCT "Stetson", and the Flexcut 1/2".

                        Hope that helps!

                        Bob L

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Who is OCCT? The London Pattern Book and the Pfeil version of that, I can read.
                          Brian T

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                            Who is OCCT? The London Pattern Book and the Pfeil version of that, I can read.
                            I believe OCCT (Ozark County Carving Tools) is formerly Mike Shipley knives
                            . . .JoeB

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have found a this tool very usful. working around faces and areas where I want a Vtool but want to avoid the sharp line at the bottom of the cut,
                              Randy

                              WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X