Clarification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification

I've been carving for a while now and am starting to slowly accumulate some good knives and gouges. Now, curiosity has driven me to learn about new tool that I may have to add to the collection. Most tools wins right? Anyway, I've just learned of a gouge type that I've never heard of before and maybe someone can enlighten me as to just what it is. The gouge is called a "soft vee". What the heck is this? (A picture would be nice too.)

Tinwood

Hi Tinwood
    I took this explanation from the treeline website.

Flexcut's Soft V-Tool is similar to a standard V-Tool, but the point of the V is slightly rounded, allowing it to double as a small gouge. It can also be used as a parting tool for creating lines and textures, and it can be rolled onto its side and used as a straight chisel for flattening.
    Hope this helps
    Larry

Comment

Among Pfeil (Swiss Made) carving tools these are called Staehli gouges. They come in three widths: 3mm, 6mm, and 20mm.

Comment

Hi Tinwood, I think you just learned all you need to know about that Tool so go ahead and get it . you know you need it . Ha,Ha. Merle

Comment

You probably ought to get the complete set from Pfeil. Sure as shootin', as soon as you start using a soft vee, you'll run into a situation where you need a softer one.

Comment

I thought all V-tools were like that right at the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by honketyhank View Post
              You probably ought to get the complete set from Pfeil. Sure as shootin', as soon as you start using a soft vee, you'll run into a situation where you need a softer one.
              The "softer" one would likely be a #11 - a U-gouge - a little tighter curve at the apex with curved sides, but not a segment of a circle like all the #2 thru #9 gouges.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinwood View Post
                I've been carving for a while now and am starting to slowly accumulate some good knives and gouges. Now, curiosity has driven me to learn about new tool that I may have to add to the collection. Most tools wins right? Anyway, I've just learned of a gouge type that I've never heard of before and maybe someone can enlighten me as to just what it is. The gouge is called a "soft vee". What the heck is this? (A picture would be nice too.)

Tinwood
                here's a picture: http://stadtlandercarvings.com/V-Too...le_p_8166.html
                http://www.tristatecarvers.com

Comment

Here is one by Drake. It is a little over 1/2' wide at the top of the wings and the wings are approximately 90 degrees. I use it a lot!
                  'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
                  http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dang you Tinwood
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

The V-gouge with the curved apex and straight sides is a #14 in the Pfeil lineup, but the angle is 55 degrees. It comes in six sizes.
                      Last edited by pallin; 08-08-2018, 04:37 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Here are three soft v tools. The OCCT "Ortel", OCCT "Stetson", and the Flexcut 1/2".

Hope that helps!

Bob L

Comment

Who is OCCT? The London Pattern Book and the Pfeil version of that, I can read.
                          Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                            Who is OCCT? The London Pattern Book and the Pfeil version of that, I can read.
                            I believe OCCT (Ozark County Carving Tools) is formerly Mike Shipley knives
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

I have found a this tool very usful. working around faces and areas where I want a Vtool but want to avoid the sharp line at the bottom of the cut,
                              Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Working...
                              X