No announcement yet.

Clarification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone. So, if I understand this correctly the tool is a vee with a round shaped trough at the bottom instead of two wings intersecting at an angle? Is the angle of the wings usually around 55 degrees? If I were to look at a suppliers line of vee gouges what exactly would it be called because I had a look at a couple of different suppliers of vee gouges but none are labeled as a "soft vee". Call me dumber than dirt but I just don't have a clue as to what the proper descripter would be. I appreciate the responses so far and the pictures. Those really help a lot. (Sorry JP, if ya gotta go and get one now I apologize, I probably won't be far behind.)

Tinwood

Comment

In the Pfeil tool brochure they are listed among the "V-Parting Tools" which includes all the angles, hard and soft. The "soft curve" version comes only in 55 degrees. The others range from 35, 45, 60, and 90 degrees. There are also V-parting tools among the long bent and spoon bent gouges, all 60 degrees.
      Last edited by pallin; 08-09-2018, 12:05 PM. Reason: further detail

Comment

I think we may be getting a little confused here. It is not just the angle of the wings, it is the curvature at the bottom. Here is a picture that shows the profile better. I just stabbed to V-tools straight into the wood. The one on the left is a regular Drake 1/4" v-tool. The one in the middle is an OCCT soft vee and the one on the end is my Drake soft vee. Notice that the intersection of the two wings is a softer curve than the normal v-tool. It is similar in that area to a #11 but the wings don't make the U shape; they are more flared out into a V shape. I believe the pfeil #14s may be a soft vee.
        Last edited by mpounders; 08-09-2018, 02:01 PM.
        'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
        http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tinwood, got it ordered
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
            Tinwood, got it ordered
            I never would have guessed JP!!
            Mike, if I was to look at OCCT tools or the Drake line, what descriptor is used if I wanted to buy one? I looked at OCCT's web site and I can't seem to pinpoint which of their tools are "soft" vees.

Tinwood

Comment

I would think that all online sources would show the sweep or profile such as the marks Mike has shown in a piece of wood. It is the only way someone can choose the exact cutting edge they're looking for.

We all like to acquire more tools, but we should also consider the upkeep. This tool has some unique challenges for sharpening and honing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinwood View Post

I never would have guessed JP!!
                Mike, if I was to look at OCCT tools or the Drake line, what descriptor is used if I wanted to buy one? I looked at OCCT's web site and I can't seem to pinpoint which of their tools are "soft" vees.

Tinwood
                Tinwood.... In my opinion ,most of OCCT's Vees are soft Vee's, even what they call Veiners and V-Gouges have a soft "V" on them. Check out the OCCT website for some really decent photos of what Shipley offers. I'd suggest that if you aren't able to visit a woodcarving store that you call one of the great online dealers personally and describe to them what you're looking for and let them make a suggection. http://occtools.com/wood-carving-gouges/

Comment

+1 what pallin said. All the inconsistent words to describe sizes and sweeps.
                  Please show me a stab of the edge sweep _and_ some ruler for scale.
                  Brian T

Comment

Item 1. : 1 ea. A: 46-1204 OCC Gouges: 5/16" Soft Vee
                    This is what I ordered
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                    X