Drake Palm Gouges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drake Palm Gouges

While all of my full-size chisels are Pfeil, the very few palm gouges that I have a Flexcut. I ordered some Drake gouges last night and can't wait to get them. From what I have read here on the forum, they should be very nice. I ordered several sweeps in narrow widths for fine detailing in larger carvings. I have to use readers now (only 1.5s) and bringing carvings closer does not work so well with full size carvings.

I was wondering if they come sharp or if I will have to hone and polish them once I get them.
    Last edited by PittsburghTim; 01-03-2019, 05:31 PM.

Drakes are awesome they come very sharp out of the box, no sharpening required.

Comment

Love my Drake palm chisels........Mark is right awesome.

Comment

With steady use in soft woods, how long before you "feel" the edge going away and it's time to hone again?

In hand work in western red cedar, I can feel the edges going on Pfeil tools in 30-40 minutes.
        I can see it with a 10X magnifier. 5 strokes is enough.
        Brian T

Comment

I have never done well sharpening gouges by hand. I use either a Tomz honing machine or a leather strop on my small belt grinder. I have a good understanding of the geometry of the desired cutting edge, just not the dexterity and/or patience to sharpen gouges on a flat surface.

If patience is a virtue, I'm not always virtuous!

Comment

Some of the best tools out there! (IMHO)

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X