Tender Thumbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tender Thumbs

It seems with age my skin isn't a tough as it once was. sometime when pushing on the back of my knife blade, it causes discomfort to the ball of my thumb. I get to use an oxygen concentrator at night and every once in while I get new tubing, & it just kills me to throw away the old tubing. I found a solution to both my problems, I take a small piece of the tubing, make a cut done one side and superglue it to the back of the blade.

Don't know if there are any more old softies out there, but I thought I would just air this out
    . . .JoeB

Good plan = it spreads the load out. Must remember that.
    I push a lot on the spines of the single edged crooked knives.
    How big is the tubing? Like aquarium air pump tubing = 1/4" Tygon?

I wear cloth-lined regular leather hardware store gloves for carving.
    I think they must soften the blow as well.
    I used to get dry and split thumb tip skin = couldn't even do up shirt buttons.
    Brian T

Comment

Brian, the tubing mics 3/16" OD & and the inside is kind of corrugated. but about 5/32"
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Sounds good Joe, but won't the tubing get in the way when you strop your knife?... just curious.
        Wayne
        If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Hi Joe
          This tubing sounds like the supply hose on my wife's CP machine, I have about five feet of it out in my shop,wasn't sure what to do with it,thanks for the tip
          Bruce

Comment

Wayne, yes it can, especially on narrow blades, but after the glue dries completely, trim it close to the top of the knife.
            Bruce, us old hoarders .

. . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
            X