Carving Steel Branding Irons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving Steel Branding Irons.

You can buy them, they cost a lot,some are electric and the mark they make is quite big.

I use a Dremel with cutoff wheels to carve a brand pattern in the 3/4" diameter head of a steel 8" or a 10" nail ($0.50 each).
    Grind the nail head flat. Draw the reverse pattern with a fine Sharpie marker.
    Maybe need a drill with a 1/8" bit. Don't have to go very deep, 1/16" is plenty.
    I use a ShopVac with a 2 quart milk jug on the end (cut open) for dust control.

A handle is a good thing. I heat mine with a bottle torch, time and temp are different for every wood.

Den: These are the only pictures I can find. The dark stuff is a slab of local slate = my fireproof workbench! BirchDs.jpgBrands.jpg

Brian T

I've wanted to try that sometime, with my signature, I might have to go a bolt with a larger head. Thanks for nudging the creatness
    . . .JoeB

Comment

I forgot to mention: You can use such a branding iron as an afterthought.
      It does burn it's way through 4 coats of MinWax Tung Oil Protective Finish very nicely.
      Brian T

Comment

Very nice. Blacksmiths make a similar stamp from tool steel called a touchmark. Besides Dremel cutoff wheel, a carbide bit like one would use with a die grinder will work well.

Comment

Good idea RV and looks good too thanks for the tip.

Comment

I made one out of the Nichrome wire that fit my Colwood hand pieces. Used a piece of wire I got from Colwood and some fancy bending.

Comment

One last thing. I buy wood carvings. Some people have styles that I admire. Not my wood, not my style, not my designs.
              I don't blink, I don't ask about price = I want it.
              What twists my shorts are carvers who don't have the common sense to sign their works. It means a great deal to me.
              One Maker's Mark deserves another, yes? Pass the ice, please.
              Brian T

Comment

Yes guys very good topic, all very good ideas. I believe I have some nichrome wire some where, now finding it.... I like the idea of using the woodburner as it will stay hot....
                Tony
                _________
                Hell there are no rules here...we are trying to accomplish something. Thomas Alva Edison
                Blogging about it at...
                http://anthonyfiletti.blogspot.com/

Direct link to my Woodcarving Illustrated Gallery
                http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2685

Comment

Except for the production spoons and forks, I finish carvings one or two at a time.
                  I enjoyed carving steel. A torch and a branding iron has a western appeal to me.
                  A little birch or cedar branding smoke in the shop is OK.

Some day, I'd like to get a fancy brass brand made up but all I see are too big.
                  I want something nickle-dime coin size.

Years ago, there was a carving member of this parish who had fine motor control challenges.
                  Once they got the knife stuck into the wood, they were OK. That led to an unmistakable style.
                  So I carved a branding iron for them that their caregiver could use to mark each carving.
                  Oddly, the quality of the steel carving was far better than anything I've made for myself!
                  Brian T

Comment

thanks for the post RV , i like it and will get around to trying it.
                    Den
                    Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X