Review of Schaaf Carving Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of Schaaf Carving Tools

I love these tools but thought that you guys might enjoy a video on them from someone else. Enjoy and have fun.

While I am glad to see a new company enter the market, not selling anything but a starter set leaves these of little interest to me. Availability of various sizes and profiles has kept me adding Pfeil chisels to my original set of Pfeils. I have recently ordered some Stubai fishtail gouges as I am not in a great hurry for them. I hope they are worth the wait.

Comment

I looked at the variety of sweeps in the Schaaf tool set. Much more useful for both relief and round than I expected (better than Pfeil sets).
      I don't use gouges much any more. I would like to buy a couple of Schaaf from open stock, just to see what they're like. #5 and #7 sweeps are useful to me.
      Brian T

Comment

I know they are working up more profiles and sizes, but as a startup, they had to start somewhere. I'm planning a review in the upcoming issue of WcI.

Best Regards,
        Bob Duncan
        Technical Editor, Woodworking/DIY

Comment

Nice review on these tools, I almost bought a set last year because my sister thought she had lost two rolls filled with pfeils. I’ve recommended to a few friends to try them but now I’m much more confident in doing so. I know they are made in the Far East which I’m not totally against if the quality is there. It’s nice to a good tool a reasonable price. I’d like to buy the larger 5# bent gouge once they are available

Comment

Ditka! That's one heck of a Chicago accent there.

Good to see another player in the carving tools.

Stubai are good and I live in the same state as the importer and know him personally - Chris Whillock. Good guy to deal with.

I really don't agree with the video on the thickness of tools. I prefer the thinner Pfeil and Stubai. Black walnut is NOT hard. Oak and hard maple are what I consider hard. Thinner chisels generally work better for me, but then I don't do big 3d sculpture where I'm trying to remove tons of wood early one. Can't speak to the Pfeil v tool as I don't own any. My vtools are Stubai, Henry Taylor and Mifer.

I much prefer the Stubai handle to the Pfeil.

Comment

Originally posted by PittsburghTim View Post
              I have recently ordered some Stubai fishtail gouges as I am not in a great hurry for them. I hope they are worth the wait.
              I think you will like them. I have several. Some are the Euro size because they don't make the full size fishtail in all sizes. The English makers, Dastra and HIrsch/Kirschen/Two Cheeries/Lamp are better for having a full line up of fishtail compared to Pfeil or Stubai. Personally I think the Stubai steel is something else. I engraved my initials on several of my tools and will say that the Stubai felt markedly different engraving as opposed to the other. Much tougher. I don't know if it's because of the make of the steel or if they hardened it further back. I was engraving near the handle.

Comment

Working...
              X