stropping idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stropping idea

i don't strop much because im lazy and its more stuff to carry around but i had a idea, i have a old strop that is made from a piece of wood about the size of a 2x4 so im thinking hollow out the back and then have another piece of wood and use velcro to attach the wood piece back on so what do you put in the hole in the piece of wood you guessed it your compound, all in one piece, easy to get at and since we work with wood anyway another something to do, did I explain this correctly? I mean does it make sense?

Yeah, like an old school pencil box. That would keep eveything in one place.

If I'm carving at home or away, I scribble up a half dozen box card strops with CrOx/AlOx stick and slide them down the side of my tool box.
    Always carry a small roll of electrical tape so use a dab of that to stick the strop down on any flat table surface.
    They fold, they bend, they are not a fat wooden wad. They don't need any sort of a clamp for stability.

I have a really nice wood strop with leather on both sides. Bought it in the beginning, some 20(?) years ago.
    It has not seen the light of day for 3-4 years = don't need it and the wax softened the leather.
    Pity I can't fold up the tennis ball that I use for a strop.
    Brian T

Comment

Sure, seems like a nice idea and wonder why I haven't seen it? I use file folders so it is easy to cut them to size and toss them into my carving "case." I keep a stick of compound in the box, so all is ready to go.

Start making and marketing your idea.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Nice idea. Come to think of it, a garage sale cribbage board with the peg storage in the back would make a good strop too.

Comment

woodturner i just don't have the entrepurental sense can't spell it either and if i made it to sell it it ould have to be pretty you know pretty sells, anyway its worth a thought if i could comeuppance with a couple other ideas in similar fashion and then o=post on try or whatever so people have a choice ya know. that comment about the pencil box gave me another ideal get compound in the shape of a pencil and line up various grits and then you take out each one and put it back. that doesn't make sense.

Comment

I suspect someone will market it. Thanks for sharing though. Years ago Eagle Rare whiskey had a nice wooden box that slid open as you describe and I had everyone at work give me some. Made for great storage boxes in the shop, but would also work great for your idea.
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I think it's a great idea, and I'm like RV ,... when I first read your post I immediately thought of the pencil boxes we used to have in grade school , ...oh so many years ago
              Wayne
              If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

ya know i just googled the pencil boxes i never had one so that didn't come up in my brain but they still sell those it looks

Comment

Nah. rickm: make one. 2" slab and rough out the void with a Forestner bit. Bash out the wood webbing with a mallet and gouge.
                  Refine the surfaces with a knife.

I MUST add a note of caution.
                  Once upon a time, I had a 16 oz bar of chrome green honing compound. I decided to saw off a 1" chunk for a beginning carver.
                  If you don't believe that chrome green is an abrasive, it is.
                  It took the edge right off ALL the teeth of a rather good hand saw >>> into the soapstone carving tool box.
                  Brian T

Comment

haha that sound like sorting i would do

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                      Nah. rickm: make one. 2" slab and rough out the void with a Forestner bit. Bash out the wood webbing with a mallet and gouge.
                      Refine the surfaces with a knife.

I MUST add a note of caution.
                      Once upon a time, I had a 16 oz bar of chrome green honing compound. I decided to saw off a 1" chunk for a beginning carver.
                      If you don't believe that chrome green is an abrasive, it is.
                      It took the edge right off ALL the teeth of a rather good hand saw >>> into the soapstone carving tool box.
                      I'm laughing because I did darn near the same thing, but with a hack saw. All of a sudden in quit cutting and then I said "duh!" Now if I need a chunk I use a paint can opening type of chisel and hammer to it.

Comment

HA! Disappointing but it did make me laugh, too.
                        Since the carrier matrix is really waxy, I'll try next time with a hot knife blade and hope for the best.

Steatite soapstone has very little effect on hand saw teeth at all.
                        Of course, you can carve that stuff with a screwdriver and a wood rasp.
                        Brian T

Comment

Working...
                        X