Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storage problems. Rust on a whole diferent level.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage problems. Rust on a whole diferent level.

Hi all,

A few years ago i moved from the Isle of Mull (West Coast of Scotland) to my home town in Terceira Island (Azores Islands in the middle of the Atlantic). Due to not having storage space available i had to ask a friend to keep all my woodcarving tools and various machinery in his garage. Now i want to get back into woodcarving and went to collect the stuff. All nice and dandy until i opened the container in which my tools were kept. I'll put the pictures for you to see below. Is it a case of dumping everything or trying to restore them? That's just about 1/10 of what i have and they all look like that. The gouges are all Pfeil, the chisels draper expert and 1 flexcut.

Forgot to add: When i first turned my foredom on... it just went out with a big flashy bang
    Last edited by rraposo; 03-03-2019, 01:27 PM.

WOW. That is really unfortunate, I hope you are able to restore them, but it doesn't look very promising. Best of luck, Tom
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I'm with Tom. I'd selectively try to refurbish those that appear to have half a chance of restoring them to useable shape and trash the rest. The pitting on those tools and knives looks catastrophic. But look on the bright side. You've got past experience in carving and know what tools you'll use and those you wouldn't so what you actually have to replace will probably be significantly less.

Comment

That is terrible! I’m so sorry, I think this is all our worst fears. I have nightmares of this happening, well that and sharks lol. I recently was gifted a wood milk crate of old carving tools that were in a open air barn untouched in 40+ years. Most were old Addis, lose banging around but suppressing in pretty good shape considering. They all had a good amount of surface rust and needed cleaning. There was two leather rolls of tools that I thought would be in better shape but end up being in the same condition as your poor tools. Most of the wood handle were dry rot and crumbled in my hand. I soaked them in vinegar wire brushed the scale off then soaked them in WD40. After a few hours I sanded them with 320 sand paper then 600 and then buffed them. I was surprised they didn’t have more pitting. I had to put an inner bevel on most of them. But some of those turned into my favorite gouges. Good luck and give us a progress report. It’s good of you to post this so others may not share the same fate. I’m wondering if there is a thread for long term storages?

Comment

The pitting on these first ones is horrendous... but i remain hopefull... inner bevels will have to be, that's a guarantee.
          Last edited by rraposo; 03-03-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Wow!.... that's terrible I hope you are able to save them, but it doesn't look too promising.
            you said you left them in storage ....." a few years ago"... how many years was it? The reason I ask is because I live on the east coast of Canada ( just across the Atlantic from Scotland ) . I live about 50 meters from the ocean and although we do have to be concerned about rust, I've never seen tools rust that badly in a "few years".
            Wayne
            If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
              Wow!.... that's terrible I hope you are able to save them, but it doesn't look too promising.
              you said you left them in storage ....." a few years ago"... how many years was it? The reason I ask is because I live on the east coast of Canada ( just across the Atlantic from Scotland ) . I live about 50 meters from the ocean and although we do have to be concerned about rust, I've never seen tools rust that badly in a "few years".
              Wayne
              They went into storage almost 5 years ago. The biggest problem was that the chap threw rice inside the box (i think that he thought he was helping - daft bugger - he forgot that rice sucks and STORES humidity - hence working so well to revive mobile phones). I kept 4 gouges with me all this time and the rust on them is near to non existent.

PS: Maybe i should send him a bill for the almost £12000 his "help" costed me.
              Last edited by rraposo; 03-03-2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Man, those pictures almost made me hurl! What a heart breaking moment that must have been opening that box. I feel so bad for you. What in hell did he do with them, dump them in a bucket of water and then drain the water away? I'm sorry, but I could never comprehend how a "friend" could do that to tools I left in their care. Some friend. I believe you should present him /her with a bill to replace those tools. Just my opinion, but really upset with your friend.

Bob
                Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

That is the pits, Maybe you can make some beautiful carvings with some very ugly tools. Did he have home owner's insurance?
                  If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I have no solution but I just want to say that I feel your pain. And I hope your friendship is not permanently affected.

Comment

What a depressing sight. I don't have the patience to work with very rusted tools, so I guess I'm not the person to ask about "what to do." I've heard of people using "Naval Jelly" to remove rust, but it looks like many of those tools are beyond that approach?

Wish you good luck and really sorry to hear of the problem.
                      Bill
                      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                        What a depressing sight. I don't have the patience to work with very rusted tools, so I guess I'm not the person to ask about "what to do." I've heard of people using "Naval Jelly" to remove rust, but it looks like many of those tools are beyond that approach?

Wish you good luck and really sorry to hear of the problem.
                        Naval Jelly will indeed remove rust, but it won't help the real problem here, i.e., pitting.

I would de-rust, sharpen and test carve with each one that's not totally shot. To my mind, that's the only way to see what can be salvaged...as the old saying goes, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."
                        Arthur

Comment

Those are bad. I do not know if this will work well for those but may be worth trying I have done this on some rusted tools and it worked well but they were not that bad. Hope it will work for you . It will not help with the pitting but will stop the rust. and clean the tools.
                          https://www.finewoodworking.com/2014...s-rust-remover
                          Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

Naval Jelly will indeed remove rust, but it won't help the real problem here, i.e., pitting.

I would de-rust, sharpen and test carve with each one that's not totally shot. To my mind, that's the only way to see what can be salvaged...as the old saying goes, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."
                            I hope this naval jelly taste better than this Kentucky jelly my wife keeps buying ;p

the three tools that that are shown cleaned each have an area of unpitted inner surface. As much as it pains me to say this It may require the removal of 1/2-3/4” of material down the blade and start a new edge there. I guess this is a benefit to using a straight gouge and not a fish tail which I prefer

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
                              That is the pits, Maybe you can make some beautiful carvings with some very ugly tools. Did he have home owner's insurance?
                              He does have it but won't be doing anything about it even though it was his own fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X